Lola's Reviews > Darkness Watching

Darkness Watching by Emma L. Adams

bookshelves: e-books-on-kobo, books-that-i-own, got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed

I got a copy in exchange for an honest review

After participating in the cover reveal for this book I knew I wanted to read this. So when I got the invite for the blog tour I immediately signed up.

Darkness Watching has a different feel than what the blurb says. The story is about Ashlyn, a girl who can shadowy creatures and thinks she is going mad. Then she goes off to university and finds out more about it all. Darkness Watching takes the cliché plot of a girl who finds out she is different and adds original touches to it. The idea of the Darkworld is really original and while some parts of the book are really predictable it is really enjoyable and there are some surprising turns as well. Sometimes I realized things before Ashlyn did, but overal I still really enjoyed this book. There are some parts that feel a bit off or that need some more explanation, but I wanted to keep reading to find out more.

I liked Ashlyn, but I think this book is more story focussed than character focussed. Sure the characters do play an important role, but I didn't feel like I got to really know the characters. Ashlyn is the main character and we learn a lot about her, but still i would've liked more. There are a lot of side characters and at the beginning I had some toruble keeping them all apart, this got easier the further I got into the book. Also the side characters don't really come alive. The have their own characteristics, but I felt like I didn't really got to know them. And some of Ashlyn her flatmates just weren't fleshed out enough. Her two friends seemed inditical and apart from knowing one of them got durk from red wine and Ashlyn spend a lot of time with them I didn't really got to know them.

I really like the idea of the darkworld and it's just a touch different from other ghost and demon stories out there. But just like I mentioned with the characters, this book is really storyfocussed. There are no info dumps, but at times I wished there would be more information about the Darkworld, because had so many questions. Also everything surrounding the Venantium kept vague too. There is some information about them, but it was too little. Despite me wanting more world building, the world building was done really well and I wanted to keep reading to find out more.

To conclude: I really enjoyed Darkness Watching, it takes an cliche idea and add original touches to it. Creating an original world and enjoyable, but sometimes a bit predictable story. This book is story focussed and I would've liked learning more about both the characters and the world. Overal I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to read where the author takes this series next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Darkness Watching.

August 29, 2013 – Shelved
August 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
October 12, 2013 – Shelved as: e-books-on-kobo
October 12, 2013 – Shelved as: books-that-i-own
October 13, 2013 – Started Reading
October 13, 2013 –
25.0% "the beginning was a bit slow, but I am anjoying it so far. Really want to learn more about the demons and what they are and do."
October 14, 2013 – Shelved as: got-a-copy-for-review-reviewed