Jenny's Reviews > Tattoo

Tattoo by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, young-adult, fantasy

Four girls. Four temporary tattoos. Four magic temporary tattoos. And a powerful evil being out to ruin the school dance.

Tattoo, for me, read like a less emotional Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants sprinkled with fairy dust. Four friends - the fashion forward one, the brilliant one, the tomboy, and the oh-so-average narrator - decide on a whim to wear the pretty green swirly temporary tattoos given to them by a crazy lady in the mall to their school's dance. But these tattoos give them powers. Fashion girl can transform anything into, well, anything else. Genius girl can read minds and manipulate people. Tomboy can see the future. And Average Girl? She can set things on FIRE. And hear voices.

As it turns out, the voices belong to powerful mythic beings (a really bizarre combination of a bunch of different myths, including but not limited to Irish and Greek) who are DYING because one of their number has BETRAYED them. So it's up to our temporarily-tattooed-and-powered foursome to fight evil, SAVE THE DAY, and possibly get that really cute guy to dance with them. (They do so much better dressed than might be imagined, courtesy of Fashion Girl's ability to transform their clothing.)

I wasn't expecting much from this novel, and to some extent, my expectations were met. The primary characters were cliches and the secondary ones flat as cardboard cut-outs, the mythic aspect was somewhat jumbled and incoherent, and the ending tied up far too neatly. That being said, the dialogue was fun, and the snarky quips were enough to make me giggle a bit. Not a great read, by any means, but an enjoyable one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tattoo.

Started Reading