Katie Garcia's Reviews > Lucky

Lucky by Alice Sebold

Sep 30, 2007

liked it
Read in September, 2007

Why do all rape books end in the character loosing weight and subsequently shedding all the baggage of her rape. Is weight loss synonomous with healing? I liked the book, I thought the character had an interesting take on her own rape, but I felt she was also a littel judge-y and the whole I'm feeling better because I bought an excersise bike. When her best friend in college was raped a year later, she seemed to judge her friend for not prosecuting, for just wanting to forget it all happened. We all have our own ways of healing and sure it's important for women to come forth and tell their story and potentially prosecute, but perhaps it isn't the route everyone should take. Meh, I guess I expected more from this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky.

Sarah Snipes LUCKY WAS A MEMOIR...LOL

Wagatwe Wanjuki "Why do all rape books end in the character loosing weight and subsequently shedding all the baggage of her rape. Is weight loss synonomous with healing?"

Nah, we just all get eating disorders afterward.

message 3: by Danielle (last edited May 23, 2012 01:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle I found that she was quasi-obsessed with being a virgin and what that meant in regards to her rape; she just put a lot of emphasis on it. (What about women who aren't virgins at the time of their rape? Are they somehow less credible? Less brutalized? Less a victim?) She did mention how she was rather conservative in dress and manner up to that point, so I think that the issue of restraint towards sex was a large issue for her before she was attacked. To each their own - each one of us has to approach sex in a way that makes sense for us as individuals. It just seems that she had the attitude of sex = bad, therefore girls who have sex = bad, long before her rape.
This mentality isn't exactly healthy, especially when combined with the traumas of rape. A lot of people equate rape with sex, when really it is an assault that uses sexual acts. When you have the attitude that sex = bad = bad girl combined with rape = sex, you end up with raped girl = bad person. This is a trap that a lot of people fall into, and one that I think that Sebold struggled with a lot, hence her tunnel vision on virginity - her one way to insist to herself and everyone else with the rape = sex mentality that she wasn't *really* bad. (Of course she's not, and it was never her fault.)
The only way out of this spin cycle of insanity is to realize that rape is not sex, it is assault; that consensual sex is not bad; and that a woman who participates in sex is not a bad person.
Sebold insisting on hanging out with female virgins (and mostly only virgins; if she spent time with a sexually active woman she expressed discomfort) after her rape was kind of creepy. It seemed as though she felt that only they could really understand the concept of innocence and the concept of that innocence being taken away. Everyone will cope with a trauma in their own way, I just can't help feeling that for a rape victim who was looking for some understanding and for people to look at her as a person instead of someone who's been damaged, she seemed to have a skewed and judgmental view of women who were sexually active.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

'Why do all rape books'... First of all its a memoir. Secondly, isn't that a rather sweeping statement? What other 'rape books' have you read?!