Alyce Wilson's Reviews > Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing Career Alongside Your Kids

Writer Mama by Christina Katz

2069106

As a write-at-home mom, Christina Katz's book practically jumped off the shelf at me. "Writer Mama: How to Raise a Writing career Alongside Your Kids"? That's exactly what I was trying to do. Flipping through it, I felt it might provide some useful info, so I purchased it, making sure to save the receipt to file with my taxes as a business expense.

The purchase was well worth it. While at least half of the information was already familiar to me -- as someone who's been writing for publication in some capacity for more than 25 years -- the book was sprinkled with helpful information that was new to me. In particular, I loved the tips on how to determine your audience, identify possible markets, and write queries.

Katz's love for lists and keeping things in folders seemed a little antiquated, although I know plenty of mothers would find such a system useful. In an effort to reduce clutter, I've gone increasingly paperless, moving most of my planning documents onto cloud-driven storage sites such as Google Drive and Dropbox, so they can be accessed from any computer or mobile device. It's relatively easy to adapt her recommended tracking systems into digital form, but perhaps if she does a revised edition, she could do some research into some of the most useful online tools for writers to track their ideas, work progress and submissions.

Overall, the book gave me insights on how to take simple, actionable steps in order to grow my freelance business. I recommend it for moms at any stage in their writing careers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writer Mama.

Started Reading