Beverly Diehl's Reviews > Dream Lake

Dream Lake by Lisa Kleypas

5641908
Aug 27, 2013

bookshelves: addiction-recovery, contemporary-womens-fiction, reincarnation-ghosts, romance

I wasn't expecting the ghost, nor was Alex, the male protagonist to whom the ghost attaches himself. As far as I know, this is the first story in which a ghost which has been haunting a location is able to detach himself and then gets stuck haunting a person.

Zoe is lovely in every sense of the word. She was abandoned by her mother, and then by her father, and THEN by her gay husband. Still she goes around unfazed, sprinkling happy vibes and amazing food on the world, including Alex, who is a mean and nasty drunk. AND Zoe finds a way to take care of the grandmother who raised her, as said grandmother is "sundowning" after a series of strokes. She was a little too unflawed for me to really connect with her.

And Alex finds his way from inside of a bottle without much effort, or really, hitting bottom. Really, child of TWO alcoholics, someone who's been drinking for years? Sure, he has a few days of withdrawal, but some of Zoe's home cookin' fixes that right up.

What pushed this to an extra star for me was the lush descriptions of the food, and the mystery/love story behind the ghost and Zoe's grandmother.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dream Lake.