Karen Hanson's Reviews > The Stand

The Stand by Stephen King

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, 2014-books-read

I'm still kind of mulling over what I thought of this book, but overall I liked it. A classic premise of pandemic followed by a battle between good and evil gave a nice plot to the book. There were a lot of characters to follow, but not in the overwhelming Russian lit sense. Most characters were interesting and likable, including some on the "evil" side... I couldn't help but like The Trashcan Man.

The only problem with so many characters was that it made the first half of the book move very slowly. Telling the back stories of nearly every character was a bit tedious, though not entirely unpleasant. I just found myself wishing for less detail and more action.

Overall I enjoyed the book. Like I said, it moved a bit slowly for my taste but most of the characters provided enough depth to keep me interested. I found myself thinking about what I would do in the same situation and how I would handle everything. Kind of scary to think about. This was a long but worthy read and I'm hoping I can find and watch the miniseries now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stand.

Quotes Karen Liked

Stephen King
“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance...logic can be happily tossed out the window.”

Stephen King
“People who try hard to do the right thing always seem mad.”

Stephen King
“For God's sake, Larry, grow up. Develop a little self-righteousness. A lot of that is an ugly thing, God knows, but a little spread over all your scruples is an absolute necessity!”

Stephen King
“No one can tell what goes on in between the person you were and the person you become. No one can chart that blue and lonely section of hell. There are no maps of the change. You just come out the other side.

Or you don't.”