Betsy's Reviews > Magic Marks the Spot

Magic Marks the Spot by Caroline Carlson

liked it
bookshelves: owned

"Magic Marks the Spot" Misses the Mark!

"The Very Nearly Honorable League of Good Pirates: Magic Marks the Spot" has all the elements of a good story: a precocious girl, a talking gargoyle, a Great Enchantress, pirates, and a hidden treasure map.

"Magic Marks the Spot" started slowly. After the first few chapters, the story appeared to be a bit silly and far fetched, but still a good yarn. Hilary's pet gargoyle is cute (I imagined him as a cross between a talking dog and a cat with wings) and while the introduction of magic to the story was somewhat awkward, it did add a level of intrigue and excitement.

However, while there's nothing wrong with a good farce, as the story unfolded, it was almost like it couldn't decide whether or not to take itself seriously. Lots of threads are introduced, but not followed through with. Several characters are presented as simple caricatures, with relationships and behavior that just don't add up. And for me, without giving too much away - once I discovered who the Great Enchantress was, I found her to be rather disappointing.

"Magic Marks the Spot" started out with great promise. Unfortunately, this was one of those books that had all of the makings of what should have been a delightful read, but just didn't pan out.

Please don't get me wrong - it wasn't terrible. It does have some fun parts and there are probably many little girls who would find it entertaining. However, there are so many excellent children's books available, that one can afford to, and therefore should be, choosy.

I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads Program. This did not, in any way, affect my review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Marks the Spot.

August 27, 2013 – Shelved