Allen Jr.'s Reviews > Power of Followership, The

Power of Followership, The by Robert E. Kelley

bookshelves: followership

Upon seeing "leader" all over the cover and title page, I was dismayed as I thought I was getting into yet another book about followership that was really aimed at leaders. Pleasantly, I found Kelley's tone and message to be very helpful to followers like me.

While Kelley's model of followership types has often been duplicated in other books and articles, his most important contribution to me was detailing the 7 paths to followership: why people choose to engage in subordinate roles. From self-expression to self-transformation, and from personal goals to relationship, this paradigm is really useful for debunking the common myth that everyone is (and/or should be) aspiring to leadership and that followership is merely a training ground (or worse, a purgatory) before that reward can be obtained. Sadly, this truth seems to have been surprisingly overlooked in more recent books on followership.

This book is very readable, without getting bogged down in lots of statistics or extended case studies, and yet including enough of each to make relevant points. For anyone interested in followership, it is absolutely worth tracking down a copy of this foundational book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Power of Followership, The.

Finished Reading