Damon Lee's Reviews > Drown

Sep 08, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: 10th-grade-advisory-books
Read in July, 2009

Yunior is a young Dominican boy, who goes through a harsh life. He talks about his childhood with his mother and brother, his teenage/adult life, and his father’s journey in the United States. Yunior went through a poor lifestyle when he was little. He did not have much to eat or wear. When he was young his brother would always pick on him. Yunior’s mother worked really hard to support Yunior and Rafa. She had to go through the pain of raising her sons while her husband is cheating on her and is in the United States. Many times she had been given false hopes of going to the States, due to the bogus promises made by her husband. Yunor’s father eventually brings them to the United States to live, where they start a new life.

Junot Diaz’s style of writing is a bit complicated and confusing. Each chapter talks about a different setting, different timeline, and sometimes a different character. Each chapter is like a different story, it skips to the future and comes back. Diaz also uses Spanish in the book. There are some words that I understood, but it was basic Spanish.

I would not recommend this book because to me it was boring. It was confusing at first because the story was jumping around every chapter. There were Spanish words that I did not get, which caused me to not understand that part of the sentence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drown.

Reader You do realize that this book is not a novel, right? It's a collection of short stories. Each chapter isn't "like" a separate story; each chapter IS a separate story.