Rob Slaven's Reviews > To Probe a Beating Heart

To Probe a Beating Heart by John B. Wren

As usual I didn't pay for this book, it came to me from the author who was kind enough to send me a copy for review. Despite that kind consideration, I'll give my candid thoughts on the novel.

This is the story of a serial killer, from the first moments of his conception to his own grisly end. As story concepts go, this is a grand one. The author has cracked quite a meaty nut and one that is sure to entertain. If you've ever wondered how someone could be so depraved... here's your answer.

On the negative side, while the story arc is appealing, the execution of it is profoundly lacking. The author has a very choppy and simplified writing style that reminds me strongly of Dick-and-Jane first readers. The author is certainly factual enough but just lacks writing flair and polish.

In summary, a great story but jot not very professional in the telling. I'm hopeful that future novels will acquire a more literary feel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Probe a Beating Heart.