Shelley's Reviews > Those Who Trespass

Those Who Trespass by Melody Valadez

Aug 26, 2013

bookshelves: favorites, young-adult

WOW! What a ride!

Publisher's Weekly called this "...an adrenaline rush in book form..." and boy, were they right. THOSE WHO TRESPASS started out with loads of action (but not just for action's sake; we're talking true, authentic action), and never once did it screech to a halt and lose me as a reader. Yes, there were quieter scenes with thought-provoking dialogue, but as soon as I thought the characters were winding down, they were back up and running again. And I just had to keep turning those pages.

I love flawed characters. LOVE them. Which means Jenn Alistor and I really hit it off. She's a murderer, you know that right away, but she's not what you'd expect. She is neither completely cold and unrelatable, nor totally sweet and cheery and unrealistic. She's spot on as a real person. I adored her personality.

Clayton Ford isn't a murderer, but he's not perfect, either. I loved getting to know him and being surprised by the ways he developed through the story. Both characters (well, especially Jenn) did a lot of maturing as a result of their experiences. That's a sign of fantastic storytelling.

I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a book that takes you on a breathtaking journey. Your jaw will drop more than once. You'll gasp at moments you didn't expect. You'll feel everything that Jenn is feeling. And in the end, like me, you'll most likely HAVE to pass this book along to another reader in your life. 5 out of 5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Who Trespass.