Suspense Magazine's Reviews > 100 Days in Deadland

100 Days in Deadland by Rachel Aukes

We have all heard the phrase, “Don’t judge a book by its cover.” I would like to amend that to “Don’t judge a book by its genre.” When I was asked to read “100 Days in Deadland” and heard it was a zombie novel, I had my doubts, which were quickly squelched. The author has characterized her work as paralleling Dante’s “Inferno” with zombies. All I could think of was George Orwell’s “Animal Farm.” The analysis may not be spot on, but any book that reminds you of a literary masterpiece yet has its own voice and platform must be pretty good, right? Wrong...it must be great!
“100 Days in Deadland” begins with an ‘epidemic’ that turns people into zombies (zeds). The zeds have a one track mind...to eat. If a person is bitten, they will turn. We meet a twenty-something girl, Cash, and a more mature Special Forces vet, Clutch, who will try to navigate what Dante called the nine circles of Hell. In the days to come, they find the world has changed, but man’s vices have not. Greed, corruption, and betrayal are still alive and well.
I was hooked from page one because I cared about the characters. Rachel Aukes has written tenderness and compassion into a world of chaos and struggle. She has shown us a post-apocalyptic world where the core to life is still moral judgment. The players may have changed, but the game has not. It’s still good vs evil. I will not hint at the end of “100 Days in Deadland.” I will only say it was as shocking as the book was good.
“100 Days in Deadland” is a stunning exploration of the human spirit: survival and greed, good and evil...a microcosm of today’s society wrapped up in a dystopian novel.
Don’t judge this book by its genre. Rachel Aukes has written a modern take on a classic.
I for one, cannot wait for her next book.
Reviewed by J.M. LeDuc, author of “Cornerstone,” published by Suspense Publishing, a division of Suspense Magazine ■

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 100 Days in Deadland.

Finished Reading