Sophia's Reviews > The Journey

The Journey by Jan Hahn

bookshelves: historical-romance, jane-austen-austenesque

I love exploring Austenesque 'what if' stories. This one asks the question of what if Darcy and Lizzy's story deviated from the original after the Netherfield Ball when they go on a dangerous adventure together as a result of a highwayman's interference.

I loved the excitement added to the story as a result of the a band of thieves and highwaymen which led to my utter pleasure of seeing Darcy in the role of Lizzy's protector. It was intriguing to see what happens when there is a competing suitor for Elizabeth's affections.

Mid-book the pace slowed down as the plot shifted a bit to the character study and romance took priority over the adventure. I like it when there is an opportunity to delve deeply into the characters and I don't mind a slower pace that allows for it. Darcy stays a bit of an enigma because the story is told entirely from Elizabeth's first person point of view. Even so, the reader is able to still get a pretty good idea of what he is feeling and thinking. It was at this point that I started to have issues a bit with Lizzy. In the original P&P she is blinded by her prejudices and that doesn't change in this one, but it seemed this particular Lizzy got an extra dose of obtusity (making up words, I know). I was so into this portrayal of Darcy and Lizzy that I just wanted her to see the wonderful man right in front of her and quit squandering her chances (and his) at happiness. Not that she was the only one under false impressions. Darcy had a bee in his bonnet too, but again, this was Lizzy's fault. Her actions gave him good reason to conclude what he did.

The concluding chapter that extends matters beyond the original story was deliciousness that left me smiling so long my face hurt.

In the end, those who adore Austeneque stories or a good sweet historical romance should give this one a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Journey.

August 26, 2013 – Started Reading
August 26, 2013 – Shelved
August 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Ceri (new) - added it

Ceri Ooh, nice review. I really enjoyed An Arranged Marriage by this author, and I think I will bump this up my TBR!

Sophia Ceri wrote: "Ooh, nice review. I really enjoyed An Arranged Marriage by this author, and I think I will bump this up my TBR!"

Haha! We are in the same boat since I have to still read An Arranged Marriage.

By the way, Ceri! I've enjoyed your thoughts at Book Rat's Austen In August event. I love how she's offering up all those discussions and thought provoking posts along with the others too. I had no idea she did this event and I've missed out the last few years on something fun.

message 3: by Ceri (new) - added it

Ceri Yes, I've enjoyed your contributions too! I found Misty's event last year, although it might have been Jane in June then. As you say, the mix of posts is really good and I'm sure seeing everybody's views has helped my understanding of different aspects of the book.

And if you can, you should definitely try and read An Arranged Marriage, it's one I've read more than once, very enjoyable :)

Sophia Ceri wrote: "Yes, I've enjoyed your contributions too! I found Misty's event last year, although it might have been Jane in June then. As you say, the mix of posts is really good and I'm sure seeing everybody's..."

Will do! Thanks!