Faye Brann's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

it was ok
bookshelves: dystopian, fantasy, ya

I thought 'Divergent' was a brilliant piece of YA writing. 'Insurgent', well I'm just not so sure. All the things I loved about the first book seemed to be lacking in the second: the plot tension didn't grab me in the same way, the characters lost some of their dimensions and the sexual chemistry that felt so 'adult' before seemed to have been replaced by love-sick teenage puppy 'he doesn't love me any more' syndrome. To top it all off, I thought the story was thin; I kept feeling as though we were going over and over and over ground we'd already covered in order to get to the crux of the book. There were some very weak points in the plot too: I thought the explanation behind Peter's actions was rather too convenient and not very believably written.
That is not to say I didn't enjoy it - I thought the final third of the book ramped back up, there was pace and the characters seemed to come back to life. It's set things up nicely for the next book, which I will read, as I believe this was probably the weak link in the trilogy, as most second books are. Fortunately I don't have to wait long to find out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

August 26, 2013 – Shelved