Hans's Reviews > The Dharma Bums

The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

Sep 07, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: adventure-survival, mountain-climbing, philosophy, religious, spiritual-development, american-literature
Read in October, 2009

I might need some more time to digest this one. I suppose Kerouac employed the same "Zen-Lunatic" style for his writing because though the story was enjoyable it felt like it wasn't really going anywhere. That may or may not have been his point. He brought up many interesting ideas though at times the book did feel a little immature in how "enlightened" they were and "sad" everyone else was. I admire the courage of living out one's convictions, I only feel that it reduces that admirability when one must criticize others for not being "like you". He does have a condescending tone towards women which doesn't help his "enlightened" aura of a life-loving Buddha.

Other than that, I enjoyed the tales of adventure hitch-hiking, mountain climbing, the crazy life of a bohemian. I also enjoyed his thoughts about "emptiness". Which for some reason actually resonated with me this time. When he started babbling about it for some reason it instantly made me think of physics and how most of matter is empty space. The distance between atoms, between electrons and nuclei is so vast that there actually is great deal of emptiness to life. That is not a moral statement.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dharma Bums.