C Joy's Reviews > Where Dreams Begin

Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas

2711937
Sep 07, 2009

bookshelves: historical-romance, lisa-kleypas, ebooks

Another good read from my favorite romance author, this story was more character-driven. I found the pace slow before things happened between the hero and heroine, but I still liked it. Both of them gradually changed, Zachary awakened a deep-seated passion from Holly and she was able to tame his wild ways. I found the mourning period really long, she can't get over her husband's death and it seemed natural to feel she was betraying her husband's memory by being attracted to another man, lesser than her station and way too different from her class.

The atmosphere was really set, characters in place, good introductions and background really helped paint the picture of Zachary and why he's a social climber. It was for a good reason and despite his fierce facade, there's a compassionate and caring man Holly was able to see clearly.

There are a lot of things I liked about this novel (not in order). First is the lessons, which is the primary reason why Holly and her daughter Rose came to live under the same roof as Zachary together with his mother and sister. I was able to learn more of the rules of etiquette and the way children were brought up, differentiate between what's the proper way to do things, and basically how to be a lady. Second is the circumstance of their meeting. It was clear that Holly needed someone like Zachary because she was too sheltered, when she spent time with him she was able to grow and make use of her talents. Her eyes were opened to the harsh realities of the world because of the subject of Zach's beginnings comes up every now and then.

Even until nearing the end, it was wrought with tension with Holly's near-death-experience until we find a happy ending. With Lisa Kleypas, we always do.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Dreams Begin.

September 7, 2009 – Shelved