C Joy's Reviews > The Witchery

The Witchery by James Reese

Sep 07, 2009

bookshelves: public-reads, fantasy-magic

This book is rich in plot, descriptive writing, prose, and poetry. I don't even know where to start this review. The only thing I didn't like about it is the withholding of a certain story, the explanation of how something went, because Herculine backtracks every now and then, like arranging the pieces of a puzzle.

It had a gripping start, it dragged for a while during the Quevedo Bru arc, and the way James Reese wrote those parts, it was very vivid, the writing lets the imagination run wild, Reese was able to convey Herculine's feelings and suck the reader in that realm. The suspense was unexpected, things started to heat up when Herculine realized she's in danger, and even more suspenseful was how she got out of it, I didn't see that coming.

Given that, I loved the unpredictability of this book, since this is divided into 4 parts, each has a surprise until the end. One would wonder how she wrote the events as a journal that happened in a span of about 5 years while she was dead, occupying someone's body. There was adequate balance in the storytelling, while the details were described vividly, others were suggested, not stated outright. Although Reese might have intended this book as a perfect ending, in truth it still has an open end.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Witchery.

September 7, 2009 – Shelved
September 11, 2009 –
page 102
September 14, 2009 –
page 128
September 16, 2009 –
page 243
54.24% "finally it gets interesting"
September 17, 2009 –
page 248
September 18, 2009 –
page 339
September 19, 2009 –
page 350
78.13% "It's getting slow again"
September 22, 2009 –
page 411
91.74% "Interesting development, who would've thought...?"
Started Reading
September 23, 2009 – Shelved as: public-reads
September 23, 2009 – Shelved as: fantasy-magic
September 23, 2009 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Skirmish (new)

Skirmish hmm...interesting but it's about a woman, even if she's a witch, so i'll borrow first hehe. you know how i feel about books about women

C Joy Skirmish wrote: "hmm...interesting but it's about a woman, even if she's a witch, so i'll borrow first hehe. you know how i feel about books about women"

It might interest you to know Herculine is a hermaphrodite. *wink wink*

message 3: by Skirmish (new)

Skirmish ooh..got me there hehe! borrow pls. i'll wrap it for you.

C Joy Skirmish wrote: "ooh..got me there hehe! borrow pls. i'll wrap it for you."

I'll lend you the three books but be warned of the font! I think it's 10-pt Times New Roman and single-spaced. It drags sometimes because of the richness in detail (far too rich) and the vivid descriptions. But it was very gory at some points

message 5: by Skirmish (new)

Skirmish o_O my eyes! my eyes!