Victoria Zagar's Reviews > Changes on the Wind

Changes on the Wind by Leigh Campbell

Aug 25, 2013

did not like it

Quiet librarian Lauren and her party girl younger sister Jillian's lifestyles only intersect around a few things. Magic seems to be the key that brings the two together, even with unwritten rules surrounding their lives. Taking a bit of time to give back with the library's Earth Day celebration gives them time together, but there are darker things waiting just around the corner for them both.

This was a freebie for Earth Day from Storm Moon Press.

This story confused the hell out of me. I'm not sure how it's listed in the lesbian category on All Romance, since it's about a woman and her sister, and there is no hint of any romantic feelings whatsoever. I also felt that it was not a short story, but more of a snippet. It reads like a first chapter sample might, cutting off abruptly before I even began to sink my teeth in. It ended so suddenly and without any hint of romance that I re-downloaded it from the vendor to make sure I had a complete version. Apparently I did.

To me, a short story must either tell a complete story that's too short for a longer book or it must have some kind of point to make. To simply set a scene and cut away before we even reach the meat and bones of the story isn't short story writing, it's writing the first chapter of a novel and calling it quits. Since this was a freebie, I was curious to see if the author had any other works that this could be a sample or side story from, but the only other entry I could find was a vampire anthology.

I'm really confused as to why this was released by a publisher, even as a free promo. It's an obviously rushed and incomplete piece that's not worth anybody's time. As a first chapter of a novel, this could have been reasonably good. As a stand-alone short story, it fails miserably. It barely sets up characters and there are no romantic elements whatsoever. A shame. I'm really in the mood for a good lesbian read, but this was not it.

This review was cross-posted to Infinite Love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Changes on the Wind.

Started Reading