Caroline's Reviews > Indigo

Indigo by Gina Linko

liked it

Indigo was a bit of a random pick for me. It sounded interesting, I liked the setting, and I had enough Buzz Bucks, so I just went ahead and grabbed it. The deciding factor was really that it was set in New Orleans. I get very excited when something is set there. All the ghosts and magic of the city make the stories set there instantly eerie. However, I didn’t get that with this novel. There were mentions of magic and voodoo and the like, but all it really was was just a setting. Nothing more. I really wish it could have played a bigger part in the story, or at least showed a bit more of itself.

Once I got past that, the rest of the story was okay. It was kind of your basic paranormal powers with romance kind of plotline. I really didn’t form a connection with the main character. I just really don’t have an opinion when it comes to her. I started to find her a bit annoying, especially towards the end. I also have problems when a main character has a name I don’t like. Corrine is one of those names. However, Rennick made up for it. I really liked him as the love interest. He felt real, relatable, and was able to cause some swooning. All the musical references also made up for the lack of enthusiasm on my part.

There were several themes that Indigo touched on. Science versus faith, grief and loss, and control over life and death. When Corrine starts to experiment with her powers was when I started to find her a bit annoying. Once she accepts what she can do, she goes a little overboard. She starts getting her Jesus on, healing people until she becomes sick because she thinks that the more people she helps, the more she can make up for not being able to save her sister. She becomes self-centered and at the same time doesn’t pay attention to herself. She ignores Rennick’s warnings about what she is doing and I just wanted to scream, WHY AREN’T YOU LISTENING TO HIM? He obviously knows more about this than you do!

In the end, the romance was what really drove the book for me. I thought it was well done and really sweet. And although I found Corrine very flawed and a bit annoying, I think that was the point. She is so consumed by grief and this new-found ability that she can’t really see what she has until she almost loses all of it. I was quite happy with the ending and I feel that everything wrapped up nicely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indigo.

August 24, 2013 – Shelved