Joe Anne's Reviews > No Tears for My Father: A true story of incest

No Tears for My Father by Viga Boland

M 50x66
Aug 24, 2013

Recommended for: All victims of sexual abuse

Viga Boland has finally told her captivating tale of the fear and shame felt by untold millions of girls around the world. Incest is a heinous crime that has been kept hidden throughout history. The monster perpetrators have been protected because the people around them refuse to face the truth. They are more concerned about their own dignity than they are about the victim who is helpless, frightened, confused, hurt, and ashamed.

As Viga told her story, it took me back in time to when I was a girl, too scared of my father to ever get a moment’s peace. You always wonder when they are coming to hurt you, because you KNOW that they WILL, again and again. Viga was living in a prison created by and completely controlled by the monster who was her own flesh and blood. He crushed her spirit and never let her try her wings to fly out into the world as an independent being. Her emotional and social growth was stunted as he kept his precious daughter within easy reach of his filthy hands and mind.

As I read the tale of one year spilling into another of cruel, shameful treatment, I grew to despise her mother almost as much as I hated her father. The second great betrayal is when the people who should be your supporters and protectors leave you in the cold, frightening world that is your life.

Page after page, I was rooting for Viga to finally escape the torture that she had endured for so many years. I hope that her book has finally set her free from her past.

This is an excellent book for any victim to read; and to find the courage to stand up and refuse to be bound any longer by shame.

I was so touched by her poem, No Tears For My Father because that was the way I felt on the day my daddy died. I had no more tears. That well had dried up years before.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Tears for My Father.

Started Reading
August 20, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 24, 2013 – Shelved

Viga Boland Ah finally Joe Ann ... I see your review! Sure took time to show up and it's in a different section from the others ... guess that's a Goodreads thing ...but the important thing is it's there and what a fabulous review it is. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write all that. I'm so grateful!

viga

message 2: by Joe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joe Anne You are most welcome Viga. I hope to meet you in person someday. I feel that I have found a new friend. :)