Julie's Reviews > Six Women of Salem: The Untold Story of the Accused and Their Accusers in the Salem Witch Trials

Six Women of Salem by Marilynne K. Roach

bookshelves: non-fiction, netgalley, e-book, history

Six Women of Salem: The Untold Story of the Accused and Their Accusers in the Salem Witch Trials by Marilynne K. Roach is a 2013 De Capo Press publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a non- fictional account of six of the most commonly known people mentioned during the Salem Witch Trials. With the unique idea of spotlighting the accused and the accusers as well one that fell into both categories, the book details the personal lives of those involved and outlines the type of thinking and superstitions of the era. A short story written in italics begins each chapter and those short pieces are fictional. However, the trials are at the core of the book and most of focus in on this area of history.

The first part of the book is a little dry with a lot of dates and genealogy which could be very interesting for hardcore history enthusiast. For those who would rather just get to the juicy parts, you really could skip over part one and start on part two.

From that point on, the story flows much easier and is very interesting. I have always found this period of time fascinating and I keep my eyes peeled for books that are reputable and well researched that deal with this topic. It is very clear this author wanted to move away from the Hollywood themes and did an incredible amount of research.

I don't know if I have read an account like this one before. So much focus is on the girls making the accusations, the reasons why they made them, and the absolute hysteria that followed, that the trial only got a cursory glance.

It is hard for many of us to read history books that are written in this manner. I wonder if the author added the brief fictional stories in an effort to offset the classroom history format the rest of the book contained. It can get a little dull at times and it has taken me a while to get through this one, but it was revealing and very educational.

I just put it down and read something else for a day or so and then I would pick it back up. I do wish more books were written on this subject had less of the "Crucible" type emphasis.

This is such a strange time in our history and it's still so shocking. I would like to say we learned something from The Salem Witch Trials, but sadly it seems history has repeated itself in one form or another in this same way.

4 stars

* Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Six Women of Salem.

August 23, 2013 – Shelved
August 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 23, 2013 – Shelved as: non-fiction
August 23, 2013 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 11, 2014 – Started Reading
April 11, 2014 – Shelved as: e-book
April 11, 2014 – Shelved as: history
April 17, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)

message 1: by Mackey (new) - added it

Mackey Great review!! I'm adding this now.

message 2: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review Julie!

Julie Mackey wrote: "Great review!! I'm adding this now."

Thank you, Mackey!! Happy reading!

Julie Kaceey wrote: "Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Kaceey!

message 5: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Wonderful review Julie.

Julie Thank you, Maureen!!

message 7: by Ali (new) - added it

Ali Great review, Julie! Sounds very interesting. My To Read List is expanding rapidly :-)

Julie Ali wrote: "Great review, Julie! Sounds very interesting. My To Read List is expanding rapidly :-)"

Ali,
Thank you!! I know what you mean. My TBR pile is massive, but I keep adding more. LOL!

message 9: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Sweeney Adding this to my list. One of the "witches" was from my hometown. Always a fascinating topic.

message 10: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Interesting.....

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, Julie! This topic always fascinates me.

Julie Debbie wrote: "Adding this to my list. One of the "witches" was from my hometown. Always a fascinating topic."

I hope you like the book, Debbie. It is slow going at first, but it is a very fascinating topic.

Julie Deborah wrote: "Interesting....."

It was interesting, with a different approach.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Nice Review Julie!

message 15: by TL (new)

TL Wonderful review

Julie Holly wrote: "Nice Review Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!!

Julie TL wrote: "Wonderful review"

Thank you, TL!!

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa This sounds interesting . . .

Julie Melissa wrote: "This sounds interesting . . ."

Melissa,
It was interesting!! You have to be patient with the first half, which is slow and pretty dry, but the second half made up for it.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol Informative review Julie!

message 21: by TL (new)

TL Julie wrote: "TL wrote: "Wonderful review"

Thank you, TL!!"

your welcome!

Julie Carol wrote: "Informative review Julie!"

Thank you, Carol!!