Robin Nicholas's Reviews > Prayers for Sale

Prayers for Sale by Sandra Dallas

Sep 05, 2009

Read in September, 2009

The year is 1935 and 86 year old Hennie Comfort has lived in a mountain gold mining town for the last 70 years. Her daughter thinks it is time that she comes "down the mountain" to live with her. While Hennie is treasuring her last months on the mountain she meets 17 year old Nit Spindle, who has just moved here with her husband. Nit Spindle is in need of some prayers and a friend. Hennie is there for her and over the next 9 months, over some quiltin' and coffee she passes on her stories and advice to the young woman.
The author uses an old mountain dialect to put you in the time and place and she lets the stories Hennie is tellin' unfold at a nice pace. Through these "stories" we learn about Hennie's life on the mountain. Her loves, losses, and joys.

Side Note: The day I started this book I went out to my parent's house. My dad came rushing into the living room with a book he had just finished and couldn't wait to recommend to me. He said it was one of the best books he had read in a long time. It was this book! Weird.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prayers for Sale.