Becky's Reviews > Jersey Angel

Jersey Angel by Beth Ann Bauman

liked it
bookshelves: ya

I might end up liking this book more than three stars depending on how long it stays with me. Jersey Girl is a short novel and a really quick read and, to be honest, I picked it up because it was mentioned in an article about sexy-times in young adult literature.

Angel is 17, and unlike her BFF Inggy, she doesn't have big ambitions about her future adult life. She just wants to hang out with her friends, have her boyfriends, and enjoy being a teenager. But maybe it's time Angel grew up just a little.

Jersey Angel is a very frank and honest novel. Angel makes mistakes and keeps making them and wants to do better and then says, "well, maybe one more time." How true. Her friend Sherry's pregnancy is dealt with so matter-of-factly, in a way, actually, I see teens in my library dealing with their/their friend's pregnancies. Then when the baby is stillborn, all those scenes are so heartbreaking. It was like, 2AM when I finished the book, but I cried and cried at Sherry's grief for losing something she never really wanted in the first place. I've never read a YA book that deals with this issue, and I think that's what's going to really stay with me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jersey Angel.

Started Reading