Micheline's Reviews > The Assassin's Blade

The Assassin's Blade by Sarah J. Maas

The Assassin's Blade is a prequel to the Throne of Glass Series that consists of 5 separate novella-length adventures featuring everyone's favorite assassin: Celaena Sardothien. The adventures all have their own separate storylines but they're also all connected and work together to tell the story of who Celaena was before the events of Throne of Glass. It truly is a must read for fans of the series, so if you haven't picked this one up already, than hopefully my review will convince you to do just that.

Usually, novellas tend to be like little extras for hardcore fans already obsessed with the series. The Assassin's Blade however, is so much more than that! First of all, the 5 adventures Celaena takes us on add up to one full sized book. Win. And second, combined together, these novellas make up a vital part of the story, one that should not be skipped or overlooked! Don't get me wrong, you'll love the Throne of Glass series regardless but The Assassin's Blade simply takes the story to a whole. other. level. It ties into the actual series in wonderfully tantalizing ways, and it lays the groundwork for some truly epic storylines that have yet to come!

Of course, the best part of The Assassin's Blade is the deeper insight it offers us on our heroine Celaena. I'd always been immensely curious as to how exactly her life was before the events of Throne of Glass. You have to admit that a girl like Celaena must have had one killer past. *ahem* So yeah, I went into this already expecting epic. Was I let down, even in the tiniest way? Hell no! I honestly don't know how Sarah J. Maas does it, but she managed to blow away even my highest expectations! The woman is a genius. Every aspect of Celaena's personality is accounted for by the situations she gets put in, the people she encounters and the training/jobs she does. Through Celaena's adventures, she reveals her true nature, she is tested beyond anything she'd ever imagined, and then she's put through hell for good measure. It was an emotional roller-coaster of a ride but it was so worth it!

The secondary characters we get to meet throughout these adventures are really all incredibly memorable : there's a Pirate Lord, a Healer, a band of Silent Assassin's led by a Mute Master...and then there's Sam and Arobynn. Those who've read the ToG series will no doubt be familiar with both of them - Celaena references them quite a bit and I'd always wanted to know more about the pair of them. Sam was easily my favorite of the two. In fact, there's absolutely no contest. Sam stole my heart quick and he kept it. It's as simple as that. But Arobynn...*sigh* Let's just say, the man known as the King of all Assassins lives up to his reputation. In either case, I was fascinated by Celaena's relationship with both Sam and Arobynn - it really added depth to our heroine's past; not to mention insight into her current self.

Bottom line: The Assassin's Blade is a collection of the best novellas I've ever read. Each new adventure fit in perfectly after it's predecessor, each encompassing a definitive moment in Celaena's history and with every new adventure, our beloved heroine adapts, grows and evolves. To me, these short stories start off with a bang and simply keep getting better and better. I loved the continuity of these five unique storylines and how they all work together connecting one overarching plot line. The ending was an emotional affair in more ways than one. I was completely shattered: I cried, I drowned in feels, and my love for Celaena grew infinitely - which I didn't even think was possible! These adventures are an essential part of the Throne of Glass story and one that needed to be told! A must read!

This review was previously featured on my blog: Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Blade.

Quotes Micheline Liked

Sarah J. Maas
“My name is Celaena Sardothien," she whispered, "and I will not be afraid.”

Sarah J. Maas
“She was fire, she was darkness, she was dust and blood and shadow.”

Sarah J. Maas
“There was no way in hell she was going to move to the southern continent without all of her books.”

August 22, 2013 – Shelved