Susan's Reviews > The Family Trade

The Family Trade by Charles Stross

1951999

it was ok
Recommended to Susan by: Scott

I'm all the way to Book 4 of this series, and I'm really sad that I'm so hooked on the storyline, because I'm just not really enjoying the reading experience.

On the good side, the basic concept is interesting: There are multiple worlds out there where history diverged, and a few people with a recessive trait are "world walkers" who can travel between them. Miriam is the lost child of one of these families, and (re)discovers them, her skill, and this other world.

On the down side.... (1) The whole thing in this first novel feels forced. Stross just seems to be trying too hard. ("Here! I am writing a woman main character! Here! This is how a woman main character would react!") (2) Miriam's career as an investigative reporter is just a little too convenient, with *way* too many occasions of her pulling out her dictaphone and explaining what's going on, because apparently the reader isn't picking it up from the actual reading. (3) Stross has clearly thought out the larger/longer story line way into the future and is setting up a ton for future novels. That, in itself, is great, but it means that he's packing way more into this story than it can hold. (4) This first novel ends with absolutely nothing resolved. It might as well have been in the middle of a sentence. No thanks on that style!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Family Trade.

Started Reading