Carolyn's Reviews > Jesus, Interrupted: Revealing the Hidden Contradictions in the Bible & Why We Don't Know About Them

Jesus, Interrupted by Bart D. Ehrman

did not like it
bookshelves: for-book-club, never-finished

I read the first half of this book with friends and then gave up on it. I felt like Erhman consistently took advantage of his credentials and readers' ignorance to make claims that would not stand up to rigorous inquiry. He completely dismisses centuries of scholarship and the entire discipline of hermeneutics when he claims all sorts of "contradictions" in the Bible. Does he really think devoted Christians who believe the Bible have not noticed these things before? That Calvin wrote his institutes without doing both a horizontal and vertical reading of the Gospels? Does he honestly believe everyone who graduates from seminary has lost their faith in the Bible but fails to tell their congregations out of fear? And since when did the "majority" or "consensus" of scholars/seminaries exclude all evangelical scholars and seminaries (which actually make up the 10 largest seminaries in the U.S.)? I could go on, but I would just urge anyone not to settle for Erhman's straw men, but to look for better sources, including N.T. Wright, C.S. Lewis, Tim Keller, or R.C. Sproul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jesus, Interrupted.

August 21, 2013 – Shelved
August 21, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 21, 2013 – Shelved as: for-book-club
Started Reading
November 2, 2013 – Finished Reading
April 2, 2014 – Shelved as: never-finished

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

message 1: by Rod (new) - added it

Rod Good points.
But nope, atheists - liberals - agnostics all blindly follow any claim made by Ehrman... It's easier to do that than look carefully through 2000 years of historical church research and theology.

message 2: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Cousintine lmao...you have totally missed the point of the book! The very power of the pulpit is to keep the congregation docile, and happily ignorant. It's important to keep those pews filled, and the less the congregations actually really know about deep theology and history the less likely it will be for those pews to empty, the collection plate and coffers to suffer, and the "authority" of the Church to decline. The moment people actually start to get the facts, and start thinking instead of just passively taking in whatever they given in the sermons, the less likely they will stay quiet and content.
It's really saddening that you two are so afraid to think beyond your indoctrination or be so afraid of someone with a different, and well authenticated, and substantiated set of actual evidence, that you are don't even understand or want to understand what the truth is. The whole point of his book is that the Church knows far more than it lets on to the average Joe either because it fears faith would be shaken, and in some cases that the average Joe is probably too ignorant, intellectually undeveloped or ill educated to understand what they have known for a long time.

message 3: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Cousintine Btw..you'd be surprised how many ministers have lost their faith, yet still preach. Check out The Clergy Project. There are more than you can imagine that are going through the motions, because they know that what they are preaching isn't true. Truly some heartbreaking stories from real people. ...http://clergyproject.org

message 4: by Rod (new) - added it

Rod Afraid? The truth is more fun than you can even begin to imagine Nancy.

Educated Christians aren't surprised by much that happens in the church (or the clergy project). The Bible predicted that crap would play out just like it is.

My hobby is reading books that speak against Christianity. Indoctrination? Don't think so.

message 5: by Inez (new) - added it

Inez No
Most Christians don't notice much.

message 6: by Rod (new) - added it

Rod What exactly do atheists notice: a complete lack of objective morals and meaning in the universe.

message 7: by Noel (new)

Noel Burke Nancy, I’m an elder at my church and I would relish each member of my congregation to dig deep into the Scriptures on their own. There really isn’t anything to hide. There aren’t any questions I hope any of the church members don’t ask. In fact, we encourage each member to dig in and learn the truth of Scripture for themselves. We never encourage people to rely on the Sunday morning sermon alone. That’s what Sunday school and small groups do - dig in deeper and allow conversation about the text or a topic. While I can appreciate you wanting to avoid brainwashing or cult type activities (I do too), that isn’t happening in my church and many thousand other faithful churches around the world. Rod is a well rounded guy and literally looks for books that he would disagree with to better understand the other position. When is the last time you did that? If you are interested in taking that challenge I would love to suggest “I Don’t Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist”. It’s a really good book and worth your time. Thank you so much for the opportunity to dialogue with you Nancy.

message 8: by Noel (new)

Noel Burke Nancy, if you’ll permit one more thought, I’d also like to comment on the clergy project you mentioned. I didn’t check the link but wondering if you see a difference in causation versus correlation. You can make correlations with just about anything these days. That doesn’t mean there is a case for causation. So there are examples of people who claimed to have faith and don’t anymore. What exactly does this objectively prove? I can also show you examples of atheists who have come to a saving faith in Jesus Christ. When seeking truth it’s important to follow and make a case for something that makes the most sense out of the data that we do have. After extensive reading myself, a creator God is the most plausible explanation for our existence. After thousands of years of textual criticism, fact checking, etc. the Bible has been found time and again to be accurate, reliable, and true. Placing your faith in Christ Jesus is the most logical thing you can do after truly examining the evidence. Forgive the very summarized statements above but with limited time and space o thought I would share. The book recommendation would dive deep into this topic. I truly hope you take the opportunity to check that book out. It’s very well done.

message 9: by Rod (new) - added it

Rod Thanks Noel. Good stuff.