Michael Albro's Reviews > Journey to Jazzland

Journey to Jazzland by Gia Volterra De Saulnier

Being a former musician in high school and college, I thought this children's book was really cool. I must admit though, I was the tiniest bit upset that it didn't feature the instrument I used to play: the clarinet. But, that's bias for you.

Journey to Jazzland is about Windy Flute and her group of friends as they travel together to a place where they're allowed to play whatever type of music they want. It's got a little bit of the "Town Musicians of Bremen" thrown in there, I think. Not only is it a cute story, but it also attempts to break down the musical technicality of jazz into layman's terms that children will understand. And I think Journey to Jazzland does this very well. A book should not only entertain, but educate.

The one thing this book desperately needs is a sound track. All that talk of music made me want to hear it in the background as I read. Maybe an audio version is in the works? Kind of a Peter and the Wolf type of thing?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Journey to Jazzland.

Started Reading
August 21, 2013 – Shelved
August 21, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Gia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gia Saulnier Hi Michael!

So glad you liked it! I already have "Dixieland" idea in my head so I can have a clarinet character (Clara or Woody?).

The original plan was to have music to go along with this book, but it just didn't work out that way.
I'm hoping to do a companion CD or at least a book party with live jazz!