Maria Ella's Reviews > Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories by F. Sionil José

Aug 20, 2013

bookshelves: 2015-reading-challenge, most-loved, historical, pinoy-publication, romance, to-cry-for
Recommended to Maria Ella by: Ayban Gabriyel

"How could two very young people get to know the arcane ways of loving, caring? I did not know then what love was but I did know feeling - unexpressed, compulsive - "
-Puppy Love, an excerpt

A collection of stories by the National Artist F. Sionil Jose, he coincided the them of love into his foray of genres - from magical realism, to taboo tales, to Noir-ish takes, and even a shot of a children's story. The red book is romantic but is not cheesy. He weaves the words like a household chore, like washing the dishes - so mundane, yet so extraordinary.

My personal favorites from the collection is the children's story entitled The Molave and The Orchid, where the author wrote this -
"Someday, I will love someone for we are destined to do so."

THAT SIMPLY GAVE THE FEELS AWAY.
Other notable story here is the Waltz, which appealed to female readers (most of the bookish friends gush in this work, remembering the way the two characters danced and talked).

I suggest you read it in random. You never know what story is in store for you. And if you are a guy who doesn't prefer flowers as a gift to a special someone, give a copy of this instead. Introduce her to that children's story. And give the feels away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories.

Quotes Maria Ella Liked

F. Sionil José
“‎Life is worth living really but only if we believe it is, if we believe further that life is eternal not because the tissues last forever, but because the imagination never dies”
F. Sionil José, Puppy Love and Thirteen Short Stories

August 20, 2013 – Started Reading
August 20, 2013 – Shelved
September 5, 2013 – Shelved as: shelf-item
January 3, 2015 –
page 22
11.46% "Back to the basics: #laslasreads"
January 4, 2015 –
page 191
99.48% ""Someday, I will love someone for we are destined to do so."\n Uhm, this is a children's story. OH MY GOD. THE FEELS."
January 4, 2015 –
page 68
35.42% "The Female Principle is F. Sionil Jose's contribution to the Noir stories of 1960s Manila."
January 5, 2015 –
page 98
51.04% "The waltz is not danced this close, he reminder her, smiling, There is always some distance so that the dancers can look into each other's eyes, and talk.\n \n FEELS! ♥♥♥"
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: 2015-reading-challenge
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: historical
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: most-loved
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: romance
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: pinoy-publication
January 5, 2015 – Shelved as: to-cry-for
January 8, 2015 –
page 137
71.35% "A Walk With My Grandson is so heartfelt because I WANNA BE AN APO NI LOLO FRANKIE HUHU THE KUROT IS SO AWESOMESAUCE LANGS"
January 9, 2015 –
page 150
78.13% "Dream Videos sucked.\n ISANG MALAKING KDOT"
January 9, 2015 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ernest Genesis (new)

Ernest Genesis Panalo yung Waltz! And the choice of music ni FSionil is love! The classic symphony of romantic melody. Ang sarap pakinggan while reading; simply takes you back to that solitary era of the story.