Jennifer's Reviews > No Tears for My Father: A true story of incest

No Tears for My Father by Viga Boland

Aug 20, 2013

bookshelves: abuse, favorites, autobiography, poetry
Recommended for: Everyone

This book is a powerhouse of emotion. I have read many, many books in my life, but there have been just a small number that I was so drawn to that I had to keep reading without putting them down even once; this is one of those jewels. I was drawn to Viga's story not only by the complete honesty in the sharing of this deep and painful part of her life, but also by her ability to draw me into her story as if I was living her life right along with her. As I read along, I was her. I felt her fear, her loneliness, her powerlessness, and her enslavement to a life she did not want or ask for. The end of the story was so well done, so beautifully complete, I felt honored to have followed in Viga's footsteps for those 291 pages.

Everyone should read this book. And, I mean everyone. Why? You don't have to be a current victim or a survivor of abuse (although I think everyone who falls into those categories would find it very, very helpful). People who have loved ones who are victims and survivors will better understand how to care for them and just plain talk with them after reading this book. And for anyone else, well, you all live in a society where abuse is happening all around you. You don't know it, but it is. You do know someone who is being sexually abused, but you just haven't heard about it. Everyone needs to learn more about child abuse. This book can certainly help with that. What happened to Viga can be happening right now to a child living next door to you. It could be happening in your own family. It could be happening under your own roof. Terrifying, but true. Viga's book does more than tell her own story. It blows the roof wide open on child abuse and why people hide from the shame of it. With beautifully honest books like hers, many broken lives can be healed, rebuilt, and possibly even saved from the horrors of sexual abuse.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Tears for My Father.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 20, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 20, 2013 – Shelved
August 24, 2013 – Shelved as: abuse
August 24, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
November 17, 2014 – Shelved as: autobiography
November 17, 2014 – Shelved as: poetry

Viga Boland Oh wow ... thanks so much for that Jennifer. That is one of the most comprehensive and supportive reviews I've received. I'm very grateful.

Viga Boland And thank you too for telling others about my book and encouraging them to buy it. You are more than a friend and a fan. You truly care about others when you think NO TEARS FOR MY FATHER is one they should read to help themselves. A million bucks can't buy honest support like yours.

Jennifer Viga wrote: "And thank you too for telling others about my book and encouraging them to buy it. You are more than a friend and a fan. You truly care about others when you think NO TEARS FOR MY FATHER is one the..."

Thank you for those very kind words, my friend. I do hope that many people read your book. It has the power to change lives.

Viga Boland And there are so many lives that need changing!