Henrietta's Reviews > The Liberator

The Liberator by Victoria Scott

Dante believes it’s his duty to protect Charlie. So, when he’s being assigned to save the soul of another girl miles away, he is not happy with the arrangement. What he doesn’t expect is how much his assignment reminds him of his old self. When the minions of his ex-Boss recruit humans to spy, trick and put people in harm’s way, Dante becomes furious. Can he come up with a way to save everybody before it’s too late?

I like Dante. While he pretends he doesn’t care much about anyone other than Charlie, you can tell deep down he does care. He may not want to admit, but he is more selfless than selfish. To me, Dante is larger than life but mundanely, he is a boy struggling to figure out who he can truly become. His identity crisis forces him to dig deeper within and I like that he doesn’t jump to any quick conclusion about what he has to oblige or who he must look up to now that he’s a liberator. His love for Charlie is immeasurable and I can’t help but find him irresistibly swoon-worthy.

The story in this installment is quite different from the first book. There is more mystery – it’s interesting to see how Dante’s assignment turns out to play a role so different from what I’ve speculated – if you read the synopsis, you may have guessed Aspen as a rebellious girl with a dark past but let me tell you, you have absolutely no clue of what she’s capable of just from reading the book summary! I like that Aspen is sassy, vivacious and bold but personally, I think I’d like her a lot more if there is an even sharper contrast between her soft femininity and her warrior-like protective nature.

If you love stories featuring strong, kick-ass female characters, you’ll love The Liberator. Not only will you meet Aspen, you’ll be re-acquainted with awesome characters like Charlie, Annabelle and Valery from the first book. If you’ve liked Charlie, you’ll LOVE her in this installment. Please don’t make the assumption that you wouldn’t see much of her here because Dante has to fly to a different city to save Aspen. You’ll see Charlie quite a bit and you’ll discover things that you may not have guessed in this story. I like that Charlie is still pretty much her old sincere, nerdy self even though she’s received her physical makeover in book one. She’s still the Skittle girl that I adore and seeing her and Dante together is like tasting the icing on a yummy cake – well… the romantic scenes are more like a spicy, delicious treat (but I digress) – but seriously, who could resist the charming spell of someone you’ve fallen in love with when he whispers “I love you forever” into your ear?

Overall, I have fun reading The Liberator. While I wouldn’t say the storyline is wildly unpredictable, I love the plentiful sprinkles of surprising twists throughout the story. The Liberator is going to be available at the bookstores on August 27, 2013.

Originally posted on LeisureReads.com

A copy of the book was provided by blog tour for review purposes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Liberator.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 22, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

♥Rachel♥ I have this first in the series that I really need to read. It sounds like this installment is even better! Great review, Henrietta! :)

Henrietta I actually like the pacing of this one better than book one. Thanks, Rachel :)