Karen's Reviews > Dragonfly in Amber

Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon

bookshelves: favorites

SWEET BLEEDING JESUS!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!!! DAMNED BLOODY FUCKING CLIFFHANGERS!!!!! Sensational story!!!!

5 STARS ★★★★★

[image error]  photo b42b74f5eb423a80c9a749166c595261.jpg

”We are bound, you and I, and nothing on this earth shall part me from you.”

What can I say? I am completely BLOWN AWAY by this series!!!! An amazing sequel to Outlander, this book brings Claire and Jamie through a tumultuous quest to try and change history in order to save Scotland from a pointless but inevitable war that will eventually result in the deaths of thousands of Highland clansmen. Having this condemning knowledge of the future has them risking everything to prevent this looming tragedy. They risk their lives, their love, and their future to save Scotland.

”There’s only you.”
Doom, or save. That I cannot do. For I have no power beyond that of knowledge, no ability to bend others to my will, no way to stop them doing what they will. There is only me…. And I was not enough.

After nearly dying from his stay in Wentworth Prison, and the subsequent escape and passage to France, Jamie finds himself in the company of his cousin, Jared Fraser, a wealthy Scottish émigré and wine and spirits importer in Le Havre. Jamie is soon asked to manage Jared’s business in Paris, while Jared tended to his travels. And Claire and Jamie both realize that this new position will allow them access to the best aristocratic circles in Paris, and thus to Charles Stuart, and even to King Louis himself.

[image error]  photo f218cf714c1d70d93beb7746b399f42e.jpg

”Big, aren’t you?” “…Can you Dance?”

Using these political connections, they are quickly able to infiltrate the Jacobite circle and use their influence and knowledge to try and thwart Bonnie Prince Charlie’s cause and claim to the throne of England. But they must be discreet in their endeavors to prevent the Jacobite rising because they could quickly lose not only their position in society, but their lives as well.

[image error]  photo 3c2c5eea6bab7e5a0fd36e60a562dbff.jpg

Their time in Paris would also find them expecting their first child. But the trials and tribulations of their time in Paris being constant, stressful and occasionally life threatening, Claire and Jamie put not only their lives but their love on the line as well. (view spoiler)

I am sorry. – J

I must!

This did not end well for anyone. And would be quite costly for all.

Now in danger and confident that they had exhausted their resources in France which required a costly pardon from King Louis, Jamie and Claire were finally able to return to Scotland, and Lallybroch. But the peace of Jamie’s home wouldn’t last long, for the Jacobite rising was indeed progressing, despite their efforts at preventing it. And as Laird of Brach Tuarach, Jamie being unwillingly volunteered to represent Prince Charlie was now facing treason if he refused his position in the uprising.

[image error]  photo d9a024dc173c5ef33932fde82d0da73b.jpg

Needless to say there was never a dull moment in this book!!! And amongst the characters from the first book, there were some additions to the story that I really loved. First of all, Murtagh was in rare form throughout this book. I just LOVE this character in all of his surly Scottish glory…always there…always faithfull… and always pulling off miracles!!! But a new character on the scene that really captured by heart was Fergus!!! OMG This little French orphan boy found in the brothel…he was just absolutely my FAVORITE!!!! He was so sweet, and loving, faithful to the death, and full of fire and mischief as well. And so in love with Jamie…just like the rest of us!!!! I also loved meeting Jamie’s crotchety old grandfather, Simon Fraser, Lord Lovat from Beaufort Castle. What a fabulous cantankerous character he was!!!

[image error]  photo 94976fda13ed5fae180675a7f667f9b8.jpg

Then that incredible ending!!!!! HOLY HELL!!!!

“Blood of my Blood," he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go.”

My heart broke completely for them!!! I was literally SOBBING at the end!!!!! After such a long and treacherous road together, and with SO MUCH LOVE for each other, I just couldn’t bear it!!!!!

“I stood still, vision blurring, and in that moment, I heard my heart break. It was a small, clean sound, like the snapping of a flower's stem.”

Thank GOD for sequels!!!! So incredibly well written!!! Such a clever story too. I just LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!!!! And I am COMPLETELY GONE FOR JAMIE FRASER!!!!! MOVE OVER Alexander Barrington…You’re going to have to share that number one spot with James Alexander Malcolm MacKenzie Fraser!!!!!

I want to say more, but I really just want to get back to my reading!!!! On to Voyager!!!!!

“Then let amourous kisses dwell
On our lips, begin and tell
A Thousand and a Hundred score
A Hundred and a Thousand more”

[image error]  photo 74a6cce8adf7a014d429e3e8fd19a00d.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonfly in Amber.

Quotes Karen Liked

Diana Gabaldon
“Oh, Claire, ye do break my heart wi' loving you.”

Diana Gabaldon
“I talk to you as I talk to my own soul," he said, turning me to face him. He reached up and cupped my cheek, fingers light on my temple. "And Sassenach," he whispered, "Your face is my heart.”

Diana Gabaldon
“D'ye think I don't know?" he asked softly. "It's me that has the easy part now. For if ye feel for me as I do for you-then I'm asking you to tear out your heart and live without it.”

Diana Gabaldon
“You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I willna let ye go”

Diana Gabaldon , Dragonfly in Amber

Diana Gabaldon
“Lord, ye gave me a rare woman, and God! I loved her well.”

Diana Gabaldon
“If it was a sin for you to choose me . . . then I would go to the Devil himself and bless him for tempting ye to it.”

Diana Gabaldon
“I do know it, my own. Let me tell ye in your sleep how much I love you. For there's no so much I can be saying to ye while ye wake, but the same poor words, again and again. While ye sleep in my arms, I can say things to ye that would be daft and silly waking, and your dreams will know the truth of them. Go back to sleep, mo duinne.”

“Then let amourous kisses dwell
On our lips, begin and tell
A Thousand and a Hundred score
A Hundred and a Thousand more”

Diana Gabaldon
“You dinna need to understand me, Sassenach," he said quietly. "So long as you love me.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Scots have long memories, and they're not the most forgiving of people.”

Diana Gabaldon
“We are bound, you and I, and nothing on this earth shall part me from you.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Damn right I begrudge! I grudge every memory of yours that doesna hold me, and every tear ye've shed for another, and every second you've spent in another man's bed!”

Diana Gabaldon
“You'll lie wi' me now," he said quietly. "And I shall use ye as I must. And if you'll have your revenge for it, then take it and welcome, for my soul is yours, in all the black corners of it.”

Diana Gabaldon
“Hodie mihi cras tibi, said the inscription. Sic transit gloria mundi. My turn today, yours tomorrow. And thus passes away the glory of the world.”

Diana Gabaldon
“You're mine, damn ye, Claire Fraser! Mine, and I wilna share ye, with a man or a memory, or anything whatever, so long as both shall live.”

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 19, 2013 –
August 20, 2013 –
August 20, 2013 –
August 21, 2013 –
41.0% "Oh Jamie..."
August 23, 2013 –
46.0% "Jesus... I'm thinking, I don't want to be drawn and quartered!"
August 24, 2013 –
49.0% "Where the hell is Jamie????"
August 24, 2013 –
August 25, 2013 –
63.0% "How did Jenny get so smart?"
August 26, 2013 –
82.0% "oh no..."
August 27, 2013 –
90.0% "HOLY SHIT MURTAGH!!!! RIGHTEOUS!!!!"
August 27, 2013 –
91.0% ""Let me tell you in your sleep how much I love you. For there's no so much I can be saying to ye while ye wake, but the same poor words, again and again. While ye sleep in my arms, I can say things to ye that would be daft and silly waking, and your dreams will know the truth of them. Go back to sleep, mo duinne"\n -*sigh*"
August 27, 2013 –
93.0% "Oh God...my heart is breaking..."
August 27, 2013 –
96.0% "This is such a great book!!!!"
August 27, 2013 – Shelved as: favorites
August 27, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LMAO!!! I warned you!!! Brutal, huh? You going straight on?

Ingie Glad to see you loved it. :)

Karen AJ wrote: "LMAO!!! I warned you!!! Brutal, huh? You going straight on?"

I will start Voyager right after Origin! You were so right!!!!

message 4: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Karen wrote: "AJ wrote: "LMAO!!! I warned you!!! Brutal, huh? You going straight on?"

I will start Voyager right after Origin! You were so right!!!!"

Woohoo!!! One of my faves of the series. You're gonna LOVE IT!!!!! :D

Karen AJ wrote: "Karen wrote: "AJ wrote: "LMAO!!! I warned you!!! Brutal, huh? You going straight on?"

I will start Voyager right after Origin! You were so right!!!!"

Woohoo!!! One of my faves of the series..."

OK...now I'm starting it today!!!!! I'm dying here!!!!

message 6: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!! Commencing stalking!!! :)

Karen Stalk away!!!! Although it's going slow. I'm reading double fisted at the moment. I wish I could read faster!!!!

message 8: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ I can't believe you're reading two intense books at the same time! I'm buddy reading Origin this weekend, can't freaking WAIT!!!

Karen I know! I'm an idiot... but I can't stop myself!!! I audio booking Voyager, so I can do it while I drive, clean, cook, laundry, grocery shop and have sex!!!! LOL!!!

message 10: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ You listen to audiobooks while having sex? LMAO!!! I'm doing a Fifty Shades reread on audio at the moment. It's AWESOME!!!

Karen AJ wrote: "You listen to audiobooks while having sex? LMAO!!! I'm doing a Fifty Shades reread on audio at the moment. It's AWESOME!!!"

I was being facetious!!!! But who knows, could be a great idea, depending on what you're listening to. LIke FSOG!!!! Give it a try, and let me know!!!!

message 12: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Hahaha! Jamie's Scottish accent would be a little more romantic I think!! Feel free to report back :P

Karen You make a good point Sassenach!!! I'm afraid I just might call out his name at the same time. Even now it's a risk, since I've been so engrossed in the books, he's all I can think about!!!! LOL!!!

message 14: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ LMAO!!!! Oh Jamie!!!

Karen *sigh*

message 16: by Christy (new)

Christy wonderful review Karen :D

Karen Christy wrote: "wonderful review Karen :D"

Thanks Christy!!! I love these books!!!

Karen Lisa wrote: "Awesome review, Karen!"

Thanks Lisa!!!!

message 19: by Catarina (new)

Catarina Amazing review, Karen! :D

Karen Catarina wrote: "Amazing review, Karen! :D"

Thanks Catarina!!! Amazing Book!!!

message 21: by AJ (last edited Aug 30, 2013 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Fantastic review, Karen! It's an amazing series, and I'm so happy you're loving it! I can't wait to stalk you through the next book!!! :D

Karen AJ wrote: "Fantastic review, Karen! It's an amazing series, and I'm so happy you're loving it! I can't wait to stalk you through the next book!!! :D"

Thanks AJ!!! I am ALL OVER these books!!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!!!! I just wish i would have read them before i went to Scotland!! Now i want to go back!!!

message 23: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Move over Alexander?! Holy #%$&! I need to read this ASAP. I never knew someone could compare.......

Anyways, beautiful review as always! :)

Karen Nikki wrote: "Move over Alexander?! Holy #%$&! I need to read this ASAP. I never knew someone could compare.......

Anyways, beautiful review as always! :)"

message 25: by AJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

AJ Karen wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Thanks Nikki!! And I CANNOT WAIT to see what you think of Jamie Fraser!!!! He is definitely in the Alexander league!!!! )"

Yep, I second that!

Karen AJ wrote: "Karen wrote: "Nikki wrote: "Thanks Nikki!! And I CANNOT WAIT to see what you think of Jamie Fraser!!!! He is definitely in the Alexander league!!!! )"

Yep, I second that!"

See Nikki, that proves it!!!!!!

message 27: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Oh my word...two raving recommendations.... I didn't believe it could be true, but am pretty excited that a new glorious Shura like man is still waiting ahead for me..

message 28: by Arzu (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arzu I so loved your review. Reminded me again why I love this series so much. I cannot waıt to read the next one. Release date is in March 2014. *sigh* Have fun reading the next books!

~*~JenJenBoBin Ok this makes me feel better and worse at the same time... I just KNEW i'd be crying at the end of this one too! SHEESH I am still scratching my head as to why I am starting book 2 back in the future... wait don't tell me... I have been working on other less important (things that pay real money) all day now I can sit back and get absorbed in Jamie and Claire again for HOURS as soon as I am done the dinner dishes. I might need moral support and valium though if this continues or at least some of that damn whiskey ... we should write up a 100 reasons why Scottish folks drink whiskey! lol

Karen JenJenBoBin wrote: "Ok this makes me feel better and worse at the same time... I just KNEW i'd be crying at the end of this one too! SHEESH I am still scratching my head as to why I am starting book 2 back in the futu..."

:))))))) YES the whiskey is key!!!! I'm so glad you're enjoying these!!! The cliffhanger on this one totally sucked... keep reading it gets better!!!

Natalie Amazing!!

message 32: by Paula (new)

Paula Oh...you made me want to read this!

Karen Paula wrote: "Oh...you made me want to read this!"

Great! I hope you love it!

Brandi Fantastic review, Karen! I need to read this one soon :)

Karen Brandi wrote: "Fantastic review, Karen! I need to read this one soon :)"

Thanks Brandi!!! And I think you do!

message 36: by ♥Sharon♥ (new) - added it

♥Sharon♥ Stunning review my friend!!!! xo

Karen ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Stunning review my friend!!!! xo"

Thank you Sharon!!!! xo

message 38: by Debra (new)

Debra Wonderful review, Karen!!! :)

Karen Debra wrote: "Wonderful review, Karen!!! :)"

Thanks Debra!!!! :)

message 40: by • Lisa • (new)

• Lisa • Fabulous review !!!

message 41: by Mysza (new)

Mysza Great review Karen!

Karen Lisa Jayne wrote: "Fabulous review !!!"

Thanks again Lisa Jayne!!!

Karen Mysza wrote: "Great review Karen!"

Thank you Mysza!!!!

Lady Vigilante (Feifei) Lovely review Karen!! :)

Karen Lady Vigilante (Feifei) wrote: "Lovely review Karen!! :)"

Thank you Feifei!!!!! xo

twelvejan [Alexandria] I don't dare read your review in case of spoilers =X Glimpsed your status updates of the later part of the book; so not prepared for anything!

message 47: by Mo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mo Fantastic review, Karen.

Karen Mo wrote: "Fantastic review, Karen."

Thanks Mo!!! xo

message 49: by April (new) - added it

April Seely-wanotch Lovely review

Karen April wrote: "Lovely review"

Thank you, April!