Michele's Reviews > Trust

Trust by David Moody

bookshelves: favorites

I wasn't sure what to think of David Moody writing an alien novel but I figured that if he was tackling the task, it was going to be interesting. His take on any genre is always a bit atypical. Additionally, I really don't like alien stories. But, again, thsi was David Moody. It is worth a look.

I was pulled into the story immediately and pulled through to the end in a very fast read. This was....a bit realistic. The point Moody makes is entirely valid. I loved the premise and the pace. I wouldn't have hurried or slowed it down at all. And the character to Tom was such a breath of fresh air - the cynnicism was perfect. And, as remarked by someone else, the violence level was very intriguing - in that tghere really wasn't any. Except for brief glimpses, the takeover is on another level and you can feel it. Then when there is a moment of violence, you are puzzled and come to terms to understand...then realize you do.

One nuance that I really appreciated as a sci-fi fan (I like sci-fi but not alien invasion stories because so many are a basic format) are the nods to the other popular and cult sci-fi franchises. No doubt they are there for a reason - and they just made me smile like an inside joke. If you're familiar with the genre, you got his context immediately. Loved it. Why do so many writers act like their characters wouldn't be familiar with pop culture? Moody uses it in a really fun way.

If you want a classic alien invasion book, this might not be for you. If you want a fun and fresh take on the genre, give this a try.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trust.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading