Sierra Sitzes's Reviews > A Short Autobiography

A Short Autobiography by F. Scott Fitzgerald

bookshelves: 2013, non-fiction

I picked up my copy of this book at the infamous Shakespeare and Company in Paris this summer. I figured, being at one of the Lost Generation's creative epicenters, I might as well buy a book about the writers rather than the novels themselves. (Plus, I own most of Fitzgerald's work anyway.) I expected to gain a better understanding of Fitzgerald, his generation, and the thought behind his writing. I did not expect the impact this collection of essays would have on my own awareness as a writer.

Fitzgerald's insight into his generation and the change between its predecessor and its successor is impressive. He writes with the wisdom of a man who observed much more than the forty-four years he was alive. His essays are impregnated with profound ideas and common sense without being pretentious. Consistently, there are references to politicians/socialites/actors of the time, but this edition contains a helpful appendix.

A must read for any fan of the time after the Great War, the Lost Generation, or early twentieth century americana.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short Autobiography.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 19, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
August 29, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
August 29, 2013 – Shelved as: non-fiction

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Travelin (new)

Travelin I was required to read two of his novels and can't remember a thing about them, except maybe a dock with a light and 2 eyes on a billboard. But where do you fall on the chief antogonist of their relationship? Was F.Scott a selfish hoarder of autobiographical detail or did Zelda turn him into a failure in his own mind?

Louise That is where I picked up my copy too!