Alex's Reviews > Spring Snow

Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima

liked it
bookshelves: reading-through-history, 2013, rth-lifetime, japan

This is a subtle, intelligent, sensitive, perceptive book. But it's also a little boring.

It has some spectacular moments! Tadeshina is a terrific character in the mold of the nurse from Romeo & Juliet, and her makeup is probably the best character in the book. And there's a scene involving Kiyoaki's nipple that's terrifically gay.

This may have been one of those cases where it was the wrong book at the wrong time. I wasn't prepared for something I had to immerse myself in at a Proustian level, but here it was, and I sorta cruised through it on autopilot. I appreciate that this is an excellent book. But...it's also a little boring.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spring Snow.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 21, 2013 –
50.0% "God, this kid is such an ass."
August 22, 2013 – Shelved as: reading-through-history
August 22, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
August 22, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 2, 2015 – Shelved as: rth-lifetime
February 13, 2018 – Shelved as: japan

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Annette (new) - added it

Annette Having read a few reviews before turning the first page of this book, I was expecting something more profound. I found myself wondering what was I missing and perhaps even a little bored. Maybe read at another time I might have appreciated this but I’m doubtful I’ll open it again. Not that I’m a qualified literary critic by any stretch.
Agreed that Tadeshina is a terrific character likely owing to her particular position.

Alex Funny how both of us seem to have this feeling like we should have liked it more, huh? I do intend to read more Mishima soon; maybe I'll like the next one better.