Nimrod Daniel's Reviews > Furies of Calderon

Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher

bookshelves: fantasy

$0.99 on Amazon, go grab your copy

I became a fan of Jim Butcher after reading book 3 in The Dresden Files series, it was a superb book. Codex Alera is totally different than the Dresden series, and Furies of Calderon proved for once and for all that the author is much more important than THE great idea (if you don't know what I'm talking about - this book was conceived as a result of a bet. While Butcher was trying to prove his point that the author has a greater role in writing a good book than the importance of THE GREAT IDEA. He was challenged to write a story inspired by two clichés, the first - Pokemon, and the second – the last roman legion. Needless to mention that no one thought that the outcome will ever get published).

The outcome of that bet is really really great. Butcher wrote a fantastic fantasy book, definitely a classic fantasy done superbly right. Excellent writing, amazing plot, tons of action, great pacing, very good characterization and breathtaking battle scenes (the last battle reminded me David Gemmell's talent in creating very real and believable battle scenes) is what makes the book so awesome. The world-building is interesting and I'm looking forward to explore more of it . Plus, the magic system is great, I like Butcher's take on elemental-based magic. The book has a satisfying ending, so it can be read as a standalone.

The book is extremely fun to read, and it's highly recommended to all fantasy enthusiasts.
Definitely 5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Furies of Calderon.

August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 27, 2013 – Shelved as: fantasy
August 29, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Nimrod Daniel I really enjoy reading this book.

Benjamin Thomas Yes, I really really want to get to this series. I've heard so many good things about it. And, bonus...it's a completed series!

Nimrod Daniel And another bonus - the first book has a closed ending!

message 4: by Orient (new)

Orient Great review ;) Thanks for the link :))

message 5: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 23, 2017 10:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nimrod Daniel Orient wrote: "Great review ;) Thanks for the link :))"

Thanks :) It's one of my all-time favorite series! :)

~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books This series is one of my all-time favorites. Books 3 & 4 are the best IMO. Happy reading! :)

Nimrod Daniel ~Dani~ LazyTurtle's Books wrote: "This series is one of my all-time favorites. Books 3 & 4 are the best IMO. Happy reading! :)"

Yeah, books 3&4 are great! :)

Frankie Lovely I own several of the books in this series from a library sale but I don't have book one! This is great thanks for the heads up!

Nimrod Daniel Frankie Lovely wrote: "I own several of the books in this series from a library sale but I don't have book one! This is great thanks for the heads up!"

You're most welcome. Enjoy :)