Lori's Reviews > Life Lessons

20569708
Aug 19, 2013

bookshelves: favourites, bmbr-reads
Recommended for: everyone
Read 2 times. Last read August 19, 2013 to September 13, 2014.

20/8/13
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I haven't read a crime novel in quite a while and this was brilliant. The crime and procedure scenes felt real to me (not that I'd know, I'm not involved in the police in any way), but sometimes it feels like authors manipulate situations to work for the storyline, this really wasn't the case here. Yeah I'd guessed who'd done it before the end, however it didn't spoil the story, in a way it added to the intensity as (view spoiler)
I adored the characters of Tony and Mac - their slow romance was believable and I was worried that it wouldn't be, seeing as Mac is the cop investigating a crime Tony may be involved in. And it was romance, not just sex, though of course there was sex. I also liked the fact that (view spoiler) I loved the tenderness of Mac looking after Tony and Tony's defiance at refusing to just be laid up in bed, that he needed to get back to work, to prove the buggers couldn't get him down.
The best thing about this book - there are sequels! I love discovering a book that already has the sequels written and not having to wait ages for them. I can't wait to read more about Mac and Tony.

Re-read - 13/9/14

I have had such a hankering to re-read this series. Mac has become one of my all time favourite characters...yet as I re-read this, I realised I didn't fully fall for him until book 2. It was amazing reading this back, knowing what was going to happen.

Tony seemed different in this book, I like knowing that we see him grow through the rest of the series. My love for Mac is well documented, but I sometimes forget how much I like Tony too. Mac's character arc through the series is easy to document, Tony's is more subtle really.

The only thing I didn't love about this book (& I remember thinking this the first time as well was (view spoiler) However, where I might dock stars from another writer for this, I still loved this story enough to give it 5+ stars.

Book 2 now - with that heart-melting scene. Sigh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life Lessons.

Finished Reading
August 19, 2013 – Started Reading
August 19, 2013 – Shelved
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: favourites
March 22, 2014 – Shelved as: bmbr-reads
September 12, 2014 –
0.0% "This is a reread for me. I have the hugest tbr list, ARC'S & bought books & LL stories...yet I have a hankering to re-read these stories & it's not going away! I <3 Mac (it's obligatory that I add that btw!)"
September 12, 2014 –
4.0% "Mac!\n How can it be even better when you know what is coming? I'm anticipating everything...it's like a first date. (But better?)"
September 12, 2014 –
40.0% "I really, really want to keep reading...but my eyes keep closing. Maybe a"
September 12, 2014 –
40.0% "I really, really want to keep reading...but my eyes keep closing. Maybe a catnap & then back to Mac & Tony?"
September 12, 2014 –
48.0% "Oh god...even when you know it's coming and everything that happens after, Kaje's writing still makes you lose yourself in the story. I'm not sure there are any characters I wish wete real more than these two."
September 13, 2014 –
69.0% "Don't do it Tony. #imsofreakingnervous"
September 13, 2014 –
95.0% ""I didn't come near you because I'm in no mood to be gentle tonight,"Mac growled.\n "Then don't be," Tony whispered...."
September 13, 2014 – Finished Reading