Ann's Reviews > Life in the Boreal Forest

Life in the Boreal Forest by Brenda Z. Guiberson

Sep 02, 2009

bookshelves: animals, nature, picture-books, winter, seasons
Recommended for: Katie - thanks!
Read on March 01, 2012

This is an interesting look into the interwoven lives of the creatures who make their home in the vast Boreal Forest. Guiberson does a nice job of introducing the reader to information about the forest itself, its importance to the world, and special characteristics of the animals themselves.

I really liked the illustrations and think that they add to the story. I was a little bummed, however, that not every animal mentioned is illustrated, and sometimes it was hard to discern which animal was which (if you weren't already familiar with them). Its too bad there wasn't a "glossary" of types in the back.

The book is quite wordy, which is good on one hand because you get a lot of information. But, also, kind of runs contradictory to the various "sounds" in the book which make it feel like it's for a younger audience.

Also, be warned, this is not a very happy book. I wanted this to be a celebratory book about the forest, but it also left me with a feeling... sadness? Guiberson includes various hardships about the animals. I think it's important for children to be introduced to this side of things, but the book didn't have a happy or especially hopeful feel about it. Plus, there are the conservation warnings at the end. Again, I think this is super important and good for kids to learn about, but I wasn't really wowed by the approach. And there's not information to let kids know how they can help.

So, I know my review isn't totally glowing, but I still feel I should give this book four stars because it does give a lot of information, it does have beautiful illustrations, and it does highlight an aspect of nature which I haven't seen done a lot. So, for that, I give it the four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life in the Boreal Forest.

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Great review, Ann!

message 2: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Kathryn wrote: "Great review, Ann!"

Thanks!! :D