Jason's Reviews > From Freedom To Slavery: The Rebirth of Tyranny in America

From Freedom To Slavery by Gerry Spence

Sep 02, 2009

bookshelves: politics, economics, history, repression, resistance, favorites
Recommended to Jason by: Gene Josephitis
Recommended for: Anyone who cares about freedom
Read in February, 2003

Chapter 2 details "The Trial of Randy Weaver" of Ruby Ridge—basically the FBI entrapped a man, then used the fact that he missed his trial date to send in agents, murder his wife, son and friend, and then attempted to blame him for it all. They actually wanted to put this guy to death—for improper use of the 1st and 2nd Amendments and for being a weirdo "cultist." Spence won the case for Weaver, but the victory did not bring back his 14 year old son (shot twice, once in the back as he ran from the snipers) or his unarmed wife (shot through the head as she held her infant daughter). Of course, nothing substantial happened to punish the real criminals (i.e. the State), and the news media still assert that Randy Weaver was guilty.
But have we not already identified the enemy of freedom? The enemies of freedom are not the fringes and the radicals and the crazies or those who want to own guns. We are the enemy. Our fear is the enemy in response to which and in exchange for the bald promise of protection, we are petitioned by the government to abdicate our freedom and renounce our sacred rights as free people…And to preserve this precious birthright we must dedicate our constant attention, our unmitigated courage and our purest full energy. (p. 47)

Every day we spend our freedom like careless children with too many pennies. In exchange for acceptance by our friends we give up the right to say what we think. Being socially proper is more important than possessing a fresh, uncompromised soul. Being acceptable to our neighbors is often more important than being acceptable to ourselves… The price of freedom is often rejection, even banishment. (p. 53)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read From Freedom To Slavery.

08/17/2016 marked as: read