Ian's Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

it was ok
bookshelves: a-audiobook, b-train-wreck, g-paranormal, t-vampires-werewolves-witches, z-weighty-tomes-yawn
Recommended for: People who thought Lord of the Rings wasn't long enough and bought the extended edition.

A Discovery of Witches, The Postcard Edition (abridged)

description

Yep...I was able to condense nearly 600 pages into 11 images...I probably could have got it down to 9.

OK, in its defence the writing in this book is sublime. I really loved the characters and the basic idea is pretty damned amazing. If this book was 250 pages long, 5 Stars without hesitation...but nearly 600 pages and it was driving me insane.

August 17, 2013 – Started Reading
August 17, 2013 – Shelved
August 19, 2013 –
page 200
34.54% "She borrowed a book...she looked at the book...she returned the book. 200 pages. I don't know if my heart can take all this action."
August 22, 2013 –
page 400
69.08% "Brilliant writing...great characters...\n \n But dammit!!! Do something!!!"
August 23, 2013 –
page 400
69.08% "Hooray!!! Finally things are happening. This 600 page book would be 5 Stars if it was 250 pages long. But at the moment it's looking like 3 Stars for making me read 350 unnecessary pages."
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: a-audiobook
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: b-train-wreck
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: g-paranormal
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: t-vampires-werewolves-witches
August 26, 2013 – Shelved as: z-weighty-tomes-yawn
August 26, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Little Butterfly Curious what you think. It didn't convince me enough to move on to book 2..

message 2: by Ian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Little Butterfly wrote: "Curious what you think. It didn't convince me enough to move on to book 2.."

I've been putting it off for ages ... 600 pages is a big ask for me. At the moment I'm still in the first 50 pages and I'm enjoying it. Fingers crossed.

Little Butterfly That's good :) I thought it was unnecessarily long.
Hope you enjoy it.

message 4: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Love how three of those images were devoted to the wine. Those weren't the ones you could have taken out, right?

message 5: by Ian (last edited Aug 26, 2013 01:40AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Rebecca wrote: "Love how three of those images were devoted to the wine. Those weren't the ones you could have taken out, right?"

lol...of course not!! The wine is much more important than the 20 odd pages of goodbyes and the Tasmanian Devil.

message 6: by Ian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Did you ever see that old Steve Martin film, The Jerk? All the old wine makes me think of a scene from it.

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of Chateau Latour?
Steve Martin: Ah yes, but no more 1966. Lets splurge! Bring us some fresh wine! The freshest you’ve got – this year! No more of this old stuff.

ᴥ Irena ᴥ I love this review!

message 8: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza Ian wrote: "Did you ever see that old Steve Martin film, The Jerk? All the old wine makes me think of a scene from it.

Waiter: Would monsieur care for another bottle of Chateau Latour?
Steve Martin: Ah yes..."

I did see it when I was a kid, but I think most of the jokes went over my head. Totally get it now. :) I think there should be a picture of Edward from Twilight doing yoga somewhere on the web. That would fit in nicely too.

message 9: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Espinoza I have way too much time on my hands.
 photo nosferatuyoga_zps8231bd87.jpg

message 10: by Ian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Morana wrote: "I love this review!"

Thanks Morana.

message 11: by Ian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Rebecca wrote: "I have way too much time on my hands."

Yes you do.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill Agreed! :)

Michele ~ la Smoocherina I just love you Ian! You brilliant and brilliantly funny mother- effer!

Lauren Stoolfire You should have added in Edward and Bella for good measure. :)

message 15: by Ian (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ian Lauren wrote: "You should have added in Edward and Bella for good measure. :)"

Lauren Stoolfire Ian wrote: "Lauren wrote: "You should have added in Edward and Bella for good measure. :)"

ha ha ... I could have but then I would have had to take out some of the wine pictures."

There was a lot of wine consumption, wasn't there? :D