Jaime Arkin's Reviews > Taste the Heat

Taste the Heat by Rachel  Harris

bookshelves: romance, ebook-format, entangled, read-in-2013, series, swoony-boys, contemporary

I’ve been known to have good timing … occasionally. It just so happened that I popped onto twitter one evening and saw a tweet about Retweeting something to win. Out of habit I tend to RT a lot of things.

When I got a responding tweet later saying that I had won a copy of Taste the Heat from Rachel Harris herself, I was all

photo tumblr_m9r0ioTGRn1qegpxeo1_500_zps6fb7296c.gif

I mean who doesn’t like winning things!

Anyway I read the summary…

Single Sexy Fireman Dad…

Cajun Chef…

photo ku-medium_zps44f91c98.gif

Colby Robicheaux is in New Orleans for only one thing… to help save her family restaurant and once things settle back down she’s leaving. There are too many memories, most of them unpleasant that have her convinced that she can’t stay. It doesn’t help that she’s had a crush on someone she just can’t have.

For the better part of the last thirty years, she had lusted after the man in front of her. She'd seen him at the breakfast table with adorable bedhead. She'd seen him dressed up and smelling good, heading to a party. Colby had seen Jason at all ages and stages of his life--heck, she even saw him in his hero getup a few days ago.

Jason Landry lost the love of his life tragically and is raising his daughter alone. He’s not looking for love, and certainly not with his best friend’s sister, but there is no denying the chemistry between them.

They agree to a fling… one that ends when she leaves town – no hard feelings after. Of course that’s not exactly what happens. Colby has seen infidelity everywhere and experienced it firsthand. She has no urge to have her heart broken again, and Jason isn’t looking for something amazing. He’s simply looking for someone steady and stable who can be a role model for his young daughter. I may have cringed about this at first, but … let’s just say Jason didn’t even have a chance.

I have to say that I fell in love with these characters. Both Colby and Jason were wonderfully written and the drama wasn’t too overdone. Jason had me swooning!

"I'm not above asking for help if it means making this night perfect for you."

I even loved Colby’s brother and sister – Sherry was hilarious and spot on. Exactly what every sister should be!

"A chance to have a fling with a hot firefighter--what woman wouldn't want that? It's your duty, on behalf of single women everywhere, to pursue this opportunity."

Since this is a Bliss title it’s much tamer than some of my other reads, and while I would love to have more, *ahem* I was perfectly happy with the fade to black. I know you’ll almost never hear me say that … and probably won’t ever again. But I will say this… Harris can write some sexual tension like nobody’s business, and the teasing comments were wonderfully done.

"Just so we're clear, being on top of me? It would definitely be better than fine."

photo Copyoftumblr_inline_mfxdy37dlG1qjenjd_zpse8bcdf5a.gif

TELL ME MORE JASON

The only thing that didn’t make sense to me were a few minor details that I noted. Colby didn’t know about Emma or what happened with Jason’s wife, which I found odd, I mean even if you’re not talking to your family as often it wasn’t like she didn’t cut them off completely. I just feel like it probably would have come up at some point.

If you’re looking for a quick, sweet read, filled with food, UST, a sexy firefighter father who dotes on his daughter, and a heroine who is trying to figure out just who she can trust not to break her heart, this is the read for you. I promise you’ll end up with the biggest crush on Jason and I for one am hoping that we’ll get to see future stories from Cane and Sherry.

Thanks to Rachel for letting me win a copy! Can’t wait to read more!

This review can be found on my blog, Fic Fare:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Taste the Heat.

August 16, 2013 – Started Reading
August 16, 2013 – Shelved
August 16, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
August 16, 2013 –
August 18, 2013 –
67.0% ""I'm not above asking for help if it means making this night perfect for you." Swooooon"
August 18, 2013 –