Willow 's Reviews > The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss

****½

This book has always given me the impression that Dr. Seuss is a master mischief maker. He has this smarmy Cat barge his way into these poor kid's house (when their mother isn’t home) and then he proceeds to make a colossal mess. It’s all very distressing.

In fact, as a child, I don’t think I found this book amusing at all. It preyed on all my worst fears like being ‘home alone,’ having pushy strangers take control, and scary ‘clown-like’ accessories like monster hats. I much preferred Suess’ nonthreatening One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.

As an adult though, I find this fanciful tale wonderfully satisfying. There’s an old fairytale feel to it that reminds me of sprites coming in and rearranging the furniture. There’s also a whimsical message that says, ‘quit being so uptight…things will work out.’ The movie Risky Business has the exact same story and the exact same premise with Lana being the Cat and the classic line, “Sometimes you just have to say, what the f%*#.” :D

So all in all, while I don't think this is the best kid's book, I'm rather fond of it as an adult.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat in the Hat.

Finished Reading
August 16, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Willow Jeannette wrote: "I have always found the Cat in the Hat scary. I never read them to my daughter. I still find them a bit disturbing -- don't like clown dolls, either! @~@"

Yes, I have to agree. The story is scary. I was pretty anxious having it read to me as a kid. I probably should have knocked a star, but I've always liked it ever since I watched Risky Business. lol

message 3: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 16, 2013 08:08PM) (new)

It still scares me. lol. I don't really care for the art style.

Willow He is kind of a strange monstrous cat. lol

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I also found this book disturbing when I was a kid. If it was read to my kids, then it was by their father and not by me!

message 6: by cEe beE (last edited Aug 17, 2013 12:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

cEe beE Love your review! I didn't find the book scary as a child but I remember feeling very mad at the cat for taking over the house and making a lot of trouble.

Willow cEe beE wrote: "Love your review! I didn't find the book scary as a child but I remember feeling very mad at the cat for taking over the house and making a lot of trouble."

Yes! You are absolutely right. I was angry at the Cat in the Hat too. How dare he come in and trash their house.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Next to Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss The Cat in The Hat, was my kids and my favorite as well. Thanks for the memories :)

message 9: by Jen (last edited Aug 17, 2013 07:48AM) (new)

Jen It's only now that I am creeped out by this book, when I read it to my kids (which is rare). The way that the kids are sitting in those chairs in front of the window when the mom leaves and when she returns? Just staring at the rain. O.o And when the mom is on her way home, how the fish starts shaking, he's so terrified? The mom scares me much more than the cat. :)
I love the Fox in Socks book. Tongue twisters!

Michele Daniel Hot dog eating