Argona's Reviews > Guilty Pleasures

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

I started reading this series long time ago. I Specially have very good memories from reading the first book of this series, which is why I will always cherish these books. But I will not ignore the fact that this series has some serious faults and flaws that in my opinion, are getting out of hand! This series started strong and remained that way for several books but suddenly took a turn for worse.

This series captivated me because of the vampires. I have a thing for vampires and in this series, compared to many others, they are classy, dark and manipulative. The bad vampires were really bad, cruel and even psychotic and the good vampires, while not as bloodthirsty as the bad ones, had their own moments of cruelty and were also mean and cold. You know, old school vampires! The type that burn under the sun light and don't sparkle! Vampires that have actually grown to enjoy being a vampire.

I still continue to read this series because I want to read more about my favorite vampires (Jean-Claude and Asher) but sadly, each book continues to add more and more male characters and there is hardly any space for the old ones. This is one of those flaws that I mentioned. I was surprised when Anita first started to create a male harem for herself because I simply wasn't used to stories with multiple partners. I did get used to it and I even came to like her harem, but as the story progressed, her harem continued to expand and now it simply refuses to end! In each new book, we have less action and more and more pointless sex! There is less and less mystery, there is hardly a plot and there is almost no suspense! Why? Because we have ANITA!

I liked her much better at the beginning of the series, when she wasn't a power hungry bitch or the most powerful creature in the entire world. Honestly, these days, I know what happens at the end of each new book before reading it. A very powerful villain will appear that everybody fears, the world might actually come to an end, but no worries, we have Anita! she will discover a new power, defeating all the great villains by herself! Other characters are just lurking around to provide her with sex. If this is feminism, I don't get it.

Anita wants to a be a strong, level-headed and unique woman but she comes out as an annoying bitch who doesn't appreciate being a woman and actually wants to be a boy and belittles other females. When she wants to describe herself, she claims to be one of the boys! I really really hate this in a female character that's supposed to be strong. In my opinion, this is not a strong woman but a whiny sexist woman who has identity problems! There! I said it! And the way she acts like she loves all the men in her harem...I don't think she really loves any of them anymore. Maybe she did at the beginning but not anymore. You don't love your boyfriend or girlfriend as much as you used to, when you get a second one...and a third one...and a fourth one and this goes on and on...!

Now, I do understand that Anita needs a harem because Jean-Claude is from the house of lust and they need to feed this lust to gain strength, but enough is enough. Oh, and there isn't a single man in the story who isn't in love with her or who isn't dying to sleep with her! Seriously...what the hell?

Last but not least, most of the powerful male characters are actually really good people, while most of the powerful female characters are evil monsters, all with the exception of Anita.

This series is still unfinished and at this point, that doesn't really matter to me anymore but to be honest, I may continue to read it despite all my nagging and complaining simply because I really really liked this damn series at the beginning! I have given these books high ratings since I enjoyed reading them in a certain period of time that I had nothing else to keep me distracted from life. I am simply trying to remain loyal to those memories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Guilty Pleasures.

Finished Reading
June 9, 2016 – Shelved as: romance
October 16, 2016 – Shelved as: david-the-amazing
February 9, 2018 – Shelved as: old-time-favorites
April 13, 2018 – Shelved as: all-time-favorites

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

TL My thoughts too, great and honest review:) I started getting annoyed with this series at book 12(honestly don't know how I finished that one)

message 2: by Argona (last edited Sep 09, 2014 10:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Argona Thanks dear. It's a shame how this series changed. I don't remember my exact thoughts regarding each book of the series so I wrote a review for the entire of it. I have a feeling it doesn't matter that I have read up to book 15. This is how the series is going to continue.

message 3: by Trish (new)

Trish I am so happy to read that there are still old-fashioned vampires out there! NO sparkle! No vegetarism! Yay!
Too bad the series took a turn for the worse.

Spira Virgo I have like last two months bought it but I wasn't exactly sure if to read it or not, since most of the reviews on the series were mixed beg. Some loved the beginning while the others hated what came afterword. So I am conflicted if I should read this, but reading your review gives me hope. What do you think about Anita Blake? In all honesty?

Argona Trish wrote: "I am so happy to read that there are still old-fashioned vampires out there! NO sparkle! No vegetarism! Yay!
Too bad the series took a turn for the worse."

Yeah, old-fashioned vampires are so hard to find these days!:(

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish Argona wrote: "Yeah, old-fashioned vampires are so hard to find these days!:( "

Definitely.

Argona Spira-Virgo wrote: "I have like last two months bought it but I wasn't exactly sure if to read it or not, since most of the reviews on the series were mixed beg. Some loved the beginning while the others hated what ca..."

Honestly, I think you should try this series. It's quite unique and yes, it has lost its touch for me but I still really did enjoy reading many books in this series and none of them really end in a cliff-hanger, so you can read as many books as you want or just stop and drop this series.

SUSAN   *Nevertheless,she persisted* Couldn't agree with you more,great review. I gave up on the series years ago,Anita just became irritant.

Spira Virgo Argona wrote: "Spira-Virgo wrote: "I have like last two months bought it but I wasn't exactly sure if to read it or not, since most of the reviews on the series were mixed beg. Some loved the beginning while the ..."

True. I love vampires books, and you are right, I can stop reading the series in some point if I don't like the direction its going. Do you know where things go for the worse in it?

Argona Mads ♥ Marilyn Monroe ♥ gives meaning to true beauty wrote: "I love Vampire books, but must be in the mood for it, but this one sounds very complicated but interesting :D.

Stunning review, Argona"

Thanks, Mads!^^

Argona SUSAN wrote: "Couldn't agree with you more,great review. I gave up on the series years ago,Anita just became irritant."

Thanks, Susan! It's a shame that Anita's character ruined this series, so much that many fans have dropped it!:(

Argona Spira-Virgo wrote: "Argona wrote: "Spira-Virgo wrote: "I have like last two months bought it but I wasn't exactly sure if to read it or not, since most of the reviews on the series were mixed beg. Some loved the begin..."

That's hard to say since it greatly depends on individual taste. The change happens slowly and gradually and you might be able to convince yourself into accepting some of the changes you don't like. The last book in the series that I actually enjoyed reading is Narcissus in Chains (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter, #10) and the last book I have read so far is The Harlequin (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #15). The Harlequin's blurb sounded so interesting that I couldn't resist it, but the actual story was quite boring and I don't think I am picking up this series any time soon.