M's Reviews > Inside Out Girl

Inside Out Girl by Tish Cohen

F 50x66

it was ok

This not only had a lot of potential, but also a really good start, which made the rest of it super disappointing.
When the novel first opens, I, who didn't bother reading too much of the back of the book, thought to myself, sheesh this writer does not know ten year olds at all, the only way this scene makes sense is if the kid is special needs - and a quick check on the back and yes, she is - so I had a lot of respect for her ability to capture something so tricky.
The writing was strong and remained so, in some respects throughout - however, the plot did the following things that bothered me:
1 - I was primarily interested in the conflicts involved with raising a special needs child, especially this sort, but the author was more taken by fairy tale romance and teen angst, both of which detracted heavily
2 - it took on way more twists than were necessary or effective for one story, the premise of which was already a lot
3 - the novel went from far fetched to downright fantasy
4 - the author has read way too much Jodi Piccoult and as such the characters are simpering, one dimensional do gooders with smooth perfect one liners and there is basically no diversity to any of them
It's an easy read, and not painful, but pretty silly overall which was sad considering what a huge undertaking this would have and could have been.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out Girl.

August 31, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
September 1, 2009 –
0.0% "If you get past the Jodi Piccoult influence, this is a surprisingly good book so far ..."
September 1, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by K (new)

K Bummer -- I was very excited by the premise. Too bad the execution was cheap. It's certainly much easier to write about fairy tale romance and teenage angst, but a kid with non-verbal learning disability and what it's like to raise such a kid is so much more interesting and breaks new ground.

message 2: by M (new) - rated it 2 stars

M The parts where that was the focus were definitely better - though even there the parents seemed to always be patient and loving, if mildly exasperated. I got annoyed because there were just too many heroes here. Why wasn't anyone feeling angry or annoyed or impatient or frustrated? It was more like, oh she is so beautiful so special, and in the meantime I actually found Olivia to be incredibly annoying and I have no idea how anyone would have the wherewithal to deal with someone like her (super literal, concrete, prone to random freak attacks and random stubborn fits of irrational behavior) - so while her behavior was excellently captured I just really wanted an honest discussion of what it is to parent such a child but I got a sweeping saga of single dad falling in love with single mom who falls in love with Olivia which just felt like such a cop out.

message 3: by K (new)

K I hear what you're saying. There are way too many cop-out books out there, taking on more than they can handle and then resorting to cheap tricks. It's always disappointing when a great premise gives way to a hum-drum book that you feel like you've read before.