Tiffany's Reviews > The Hitchhiker's Trilogy

The Hitchhiker's Trilogy by Douglas Adams

bookshelves: adventure, fantasy, fiction, humour

OHMIGOD!!! Hilarious! I loved this book (er, books, as the trilogy actually encompasses five...). I laughed out loud so many times; who knew what would come out of Adams's brain next into that story. It is the best of everything, adventure, story-telling, and that wonderful British humour of irony and blase-indifference, that, according to some people's reviews (I am supposing Americans, to be completely sterotypical...) is just boring and NOT funny. Well, totally got it. I totally loved every stinkin' minute of it. My brother was my introduction to the Hitchhiker's Guide, as he was older and far more astablished in the world of pop-culture comedy, and he got the whole set and followed up by lending them to my mother, who also loves this kind of humour (she is also a Python fan), and I came to them later when I was ready to be initiated. And that was that. There was no going back. No need even to be carrying a towel, or requiring a Babel fish to get the effect. I will push this book(s) forever. And, who thought that a big-screen movie could have worked. Not me. I thought there was no way that they could do anything approaching it, but those Brits proved me wrong. As far as it could be done, it was done soooo right. But don't just watch the fantastic film version. Read the book(s). And then read them again. And again. Until you feel better about everything.

--"Even he, to whom most things that most people would think were pretty smart were pretty dumb, thought it was pretty smart."
Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt, p. 205

And it is, indeed, forty-two!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hitchhiker's Trilogy.

Started Reading