bsc's Reviews > The Strain

The Strain by Guillermo del Toro

did not like it
bookshelves: read-with-my-wife, horror, fiction, read-2009

This just isn't very good. After a promising and creepy opening, it devolves into repetitive ridiculousness. The writing is also just not good and sometimes laughable, providing such gems as this:

"Eph too had been turned. Not from human to vampire, but from healer to slayer."

I did somehow finish it. My wife did not. I'm sure del Toro will eventually make a movie out of this and it will be one of the rare occasions that the movie is better than the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strain.

August 31, 2009 – Shelved
September 7, 2009 –
page 220
September 9, 2009 –
page 259
64.27% "This book started strong but now it just sucks. Thinking about dumping it."
Started Reading
September 11, 2009 –
page 401
September 11, 2009 – Shelved as: horror
September 11, 2009 – Shelved as: fiction
September 11, 2009 – Shelved as: read-2009
September 11, 2009 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

message 1: by Tom (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tom Allen I thought exactly the same. My favourite line was after the suspense filled finale(!) when Kelly returns to tongue her son.

"Their custody battle was not over."

My friend reccommended this to me claiming it was really good. I think it's time to assess our friendship!

message 2: by La Toya (new)

La Toya agreed, I totally feel like her wrote this as a screenplay or something. because it just doesn't read well as a book!

Maurício Ieiri Agreed

message 4: by Carly (new) - added it

Carly Nicholas This is going to be made into a film,sometime.

Maurício Ieiri thing is, it's good in a movie-format. The plot is (kind of) good, but the poor, poor writing kills it.

message 6: by David (new)

David Bastos I read that line yesterday and I just looked into the mirror in my room and said "yeeeeeah right...".

Edward Kaye "The wing tips were straight up, like paula abdul." What the fucking fuck?

Erika Rodriguez I think that of the trilogy this is the least favorite but needed to set up the next two books. Overall as a whole, the series is great!

Andrew I'm trying to read it now--this is such terrible writing conveying such a good story. Seriously: del Toro could have just picked anyone up off the street and they'd have done a better job writing this.

message 10: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana There's a TV Series for the books and I guarantee you the book is a lot more interesting!

Raphael Braganca I couldn't have loved it more! The book is fucking fantastic and so is the TV show!