Wart Hill's Reviews > I am J

I am J by Cris Beam

Aug 15, 2013

bookshelves: lgbtq, contemporary

I was going to try to rate this, but I don't think I can.

I liked it. It's a good book and I'm glad of its existence, hopefully some trans youth are getting a lot out of it.

I think. A big issue for me was that a lot of it resonated too much. I had to stop every few chapters and take a break. It isn't that I'm a lot like J or that our situations are that similar, but similar enough that I had a hard time reading this.

But that's not a bad thing. It's still a good book and its existence is a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I am J.

August 15, 2013 – Shelved
August 15, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 11, 2013 – Started Reading
December 11, 2013 – Shelved as: lgbtq
page 1
0.31% "If this is any good, I might buy it for my parents for Christmas."
page 1
0.31% "I'm afraid to start this."
page 28
page 37
page 61
18.71% "I want to shake J and be like "get away from the Ace bandages!"\n \n also, I'm not sure I can read this."
page 92
28.22% "also, I'm not sure I can read this."
page 99
30.37% ""Testosterone, ever since he'd read about it online, was burning a fierce tunnel in his brain."\n \n I know that feeling. :\"
page 119
36.5% "This book is really hard to read."
December 13, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary
December 13, 2013 – Finished Reading

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Good luck, Wart! We’re rooting for you! Sounds like this one will be better than the one by Chaz Bono though. Nothing against the guy, but he’s older by a good deal, plus there’s the whole growing up in the spotlight part. Isn’t there something between being a teenager and being middle aged?

message 2: by Wart (new) - added it

Wart Hill Loki (SLYTHERIN Green Matches My Eye) wrote: "Good luck, Wart! We’re rooting for you! Sounds like this one will be better than the one by Chaz Bono though. Nothing against the guy, but he’s older by a good deal, plus there’s the whole growing ..."

Thanks. I tried to read this once but couldn't. Gonna see if being out helps...

I'm a little scared, though.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Totally understand. First time I ever read anything on transition, I was scared out of my mind. It seemed totally unattainable and beyond me, meant for others with more courage and conviction. I still haven’t told my mom, the rest of my family, or anyone other than my most trusted friends. The thought of telling mom turns me into a frightened 4 year old.

Just a thought, but would a buddy read help ease the fright a bit?

message 4: by Wart (new) - added it

Wart Hill Loki (SLYTHERIN Green Matches My Eye) wrote: "Totally understand. First time I ever read anything on transition, I was scared out of my mind. It seemed totally unattainable and beyond me, meant for others with more courage and conviction. I st..."

*hugs* Telling my parents hurt because of their reaction, but I also felt a lot freer to start working towards transitioning.

Sure, if you're up for it! :) I'm 20 pages in and I haven't thrown it away and started sobbing yet, so I think that's an okay sign. I'm also nothing like J so that probably helps, lol.