Leslie's Reviews > The Lantern Bearers

The Lantern Bearers by Rosemary Sutcliff

Aug 15, 2013

bookshelves: history-fiction, the-matter-of-britain-arthur, audible

Why read this? Sutcliff's prose is dazzling, reminding me of the lush full books I read as a teen-historical, romance, adventure, it did not matter. They were not written for "young adults," but you do not have to be 18 to yearn for smooth, sure narration and authentic dialogue. Sutcliff never insulted me by limiting her vocabulary or stepping outside her narrative voice to make sure I understood a phrase, ritual or theme. And of course, it was about the birth of Britain, so I was happy.
I do not mean to imply that the books so popular today among my teens are not well-written or nuanced, because they are. The Lantern Bearers' Aquila took me back to my long lazy days as a kid when I hid out in the woods and read as long as I wanted about kids that I could have been. I had no daytime TV choices, no video games or computer to distract me from story. And it was a wonderful time in my life. I learned to enjoy my solitude, I formed my personal code, and reading became a lifelong love.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lantern Bearers.

August 15, 2013 – Started Reading
August 15, 2013 – Shelved
August 19, 2013 –
August 21, 2013 –
75.0% "The story of Ambrosius Aurelianus through the eyes if his fictional captain and friend Aquila. Dazzling style, descriptions of the land that are so sharp and precise I can smell the dirt under Aquila's feet. Reminds me of Steinbeck's adoration of the land. The dialogue retains the Latin syntax and formality-this might be my favorite part of reading this book."
August 23, 2013 – Finished Reading