Jane Stewart's Reviews > When the Bough Breaks

When the Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-with-suspense

3 ½ stars. Slightly above average. Ok as a mystery.

The beginning was very good. I liked the way Alex investigated. Example, Alex needs to talk to a 7 year old girl who saw something. The girl’s mother is ignorant and poor and keeps the daughter on drugs to keep her quiet. Alex talks to the girl’s Doctor who prescribes the drugs. The Doctor won’t stop the drugs, he has a huge ego, he talks down to Alex. Alex befriends the girl. They go to the beach and a merry-go-round. There’s a whole mini story going on about the girl that is engaging and very interesting. It’s not just Alex going to the girl, asking questions and then leaving.

Alex talks to many people during the book, which are like mini stories, but the reader doesn’t get any good clues until the end when there is a tell-all. One bad guy is caught and reveals all the details. That was ok, but it’s not my preferred type of mystery.

In later sections of the book, my mind occasionally wandered, but not too bad.

The subject matter of raping children may bother some readers, but no details are shown.

I liked the narrator Alexander Adams. He does women nicely without sounding effeminate.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 1st person Alex Delaware. Unabridged audiobook length: 12 hrs and 51 mins. Swearing language: strong, but rarely used. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: 2 referred to no details, plus 1 partial. Setting: around 1985 Los Angeles area, California. Book copyright: 1985. Genre: mystery with suspense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Bough Breaks.

Started Reading
August 15, 2013 – Shelved
August 15, 2013 – Shelved as: mystery-with-suspense
August 15, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

James Thane I think we're pretty much in agreement about this book, although I might have given it four stars. I do like the early books in this series better than the later ones.

Jane Stewart That's good to know. I won't feel so bad about skipping the later ones. Thanks James.

GymGuy Have to agree. I was tempted to round up to a 4, but didn't feel I could do that. It's on okay novel, but not much more than average. Good beginning, tiring ending.