Margaret's Reviews > Wicked as She Wants

Wicked as She Wants by Delilah S. Dawson

There are so many fun things in Wicked as She Wants I don't know where to begin. Maybe with the blimp-pirates. Or the floating bordello. Or maybe with the killer unicorn. . .

One thing I love about Delilah S. Dawson's Blud world is how well all the stories interconnect and build on each other. We first met Casper Sterling in Wicked as They Come, a broody musician traveling with the Clockwork Caravan. He disappears from the caravan, to be rediscovered in The Peculiar Pets of Miss Pleasance where he rents a room from the main character while playing concerts to London's elite. In The Mysterious Madame Morpho we see Criminy Stain reading a London newspaper article about Casper's spectacular fall from grace. Then Tish asks if there is news about the disappearance of the Bludprincess of Freesia.

In Wicked as She Wants we find the princess, who has been mostly dead and shipped around Europe in a suitcase for years. She wakes to the sounds of Casper playing the harpsichord in a run-down tavern. The two of them, along with an orphan Casper has taken in, embark on a quest to discover first what has become of her family and her homeland, and then to take back her throne. Along the way they encounter the aforementioned prostitutes, pirates and predators, as well as Criminy and Leticia who remind us her prediction for Casper's future in the first novel.

Their journey is difficult and wacky and so much fun. We get to see new parts of Sang, with different social structures and customs. We revisit some old friends and learn the details of Casper's past and see how his fortune comes to pass.

My only complaint is that I wish at least part of this novel were from Casper's POV. We've seen three different women's versions of him now and it would be nice to see his own. The characters have a lot of work ahead at the end of the book so maybe he'll get a chance. (Hint, hint Delilah.)

Overall, I just loved the whimsy of this world. It's dark (killer unicorn, remember) but it's also unexpected and so much fun!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked as She Wants.

Started Reading