Kimberly's Reviews > Carissima

Carissima by Rosanna Chiofalo

20147847

bookshelves: chic-lit

I loved this book. My one word description would be “delightful.” I’m ready to spend time in Astoria, New York and Rome Italy eating, shopping, and experiencing the culture. The author does great job creating a very real sense of place. In addition, the major characters are all well developed. The story is told in alternating chapters from the point of view of the two main characters, Pia, a young woman interning for the summer at a celebrity magazine and Francesca, a retired Italian star of the silver screen. Both woman have a strong voice as they tell their intertwined story and slowly share the secrets of their past. I was amazed at how quickly I was immersed in the story and how hard it was to put down.

Pia put her life on hold three years ago when her younger sister died. She is finally pursuing her dream of becoming a journalist by interning at a magazine in New York for the summer. It is definitely an eye-opening experience (think The Devil Wore Prada). She is living with her aunt who immigrated from Italy many years ago and now runs an Italian bakery in Astoria, New York. Shortly after Pia arrives a rumor spread through the neighborhood that a retired famous movie star, Francesca Donata has been seen at the local “mansion” (nicest home in the area). The rumors are true. Francesca is visiting her estranged sister in hopes of reconciling. Pia runs into an attractive young man, Gregory, one evening as he is leaving the house. He turns out to be the son of an artist who painted Francesca years ago. Francesca wants Gregory to paint her portrait. Pia and Gregory begin dating and with his help Pia arranges to interview Francesca for the magazine. Pia hopes this will be the big break that sets off her career. Through much heartbreak and coming to grips with the past both women are able to move on with their lives and find forgiveness and love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carissima.

August 14, 2013 – Started Reading